Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Plugging A Leak - Thanks Irieguy!

So I was having a bit of a bad run at the $55s, and was beginning to question my game... I decided to browse through some of Ireiguy's posts because I always find his advice helpful, and I thought I might be able to discover a leak in my game buried somewhere in the pearls of Irie's wisdom. Lo and behold, there it was, shining like a beacon to the poker promised land! I can't believe I hadn't noticed this myself....

For reasons that are unclear, I had abandoned my usual pre-game ritual of downing an ice cold St. Pauli Girl (my import of choice - no offense intended to Heineken, which is a great beer - I just find the Girl a little crisper), and then enjoying another during each tourney or set. After rectifying this situation, I immediately proceeded to reel off a run of 9 out of 12 ITM (there was a little McCallan and Glenlivet mixed in with the sample, which taints it somewhat, but I think the general principle still holds...)

Granted, it didn't hurt that I started winning one race after another, hitting my draws for cheap and then getting paid, bluffing at all the right times and sucking out when I got called, and absoluting labelling a couple of opponents with bad beats, but all of that stuff is random and pales in importance to the proper St. Pauli inspired attitude that ALL of the chips on the table belonged to ME, that my opponents were just borrowing them temporarily, that I COULD NOT be beat, that I was the best player at the table, and that I was going to WIN EVERY TIME.

Thanks Irieguy!
Old 03-01-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Plugging A Leak - Thanks Irieguy!

Isn't the +EV of plugging that leak offset by the -EV of taking a leak more often [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't the +EV of plugging that leak offset by the -EV of taking a leak more often [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dammit I was trying to think of something piss-related to say about that.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

For reasons that are unclear, I had abandoned my usual pre-game ritual of downing an ice cold St. Pauli Girl (my import of choice - no offense intended to Heineken, which is a great beer - I just find the Girl a little crisper), and then enjoying another during each tourney or set. After rectifying this situation, I immediately proceeded to reel off a run of 9 out of 12 ITM (there was a little McCallan and Glenlivet mixed in with the sample, which taints it somewhat, but I think the general principle still holds...)

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a big believer in state-dependant learning. If you have success and are in the zone with a St. Pauli Girl in front of you, don't mess with it. Keep it up!
Old 03-01-2005, 02:01 PM

I just found out a few months ago that St. Pauli's is nothing more than Becks in a bottle different...same plant, exact same beer...only difference is that St. Pauli's is made for domestic and Becks is exported...or something like that...blew my mind cas I always thought it was good (which basically means that Becks is too)...goes to show what a hot german matron can do when placed on the bottle...explains why I like SunMade raisens and Land O' Lakes so much as well.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:17 PM

Hold the bottle at the correct angle & you can see down her blouse [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hold the bottle at the correct angle & you can see down her blouse

[/ QUOTE ]

Skipper, thanks for being here, just to make me laugh.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hold the bottle at the correct angle & you can see down her blouse [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you hold the bottle up to your ear, you can hear the ocean [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2005, 04:54 PM

Thank You Scuba!!...You join a select group of cognescenti(Irieguy,ChickenPherzen & Yugoslavian) who recognize humor when they see it [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I was having a bit of a bad run at the $55s, and was beginning to question my game... I decided to browse through some of Ireiguy's posts because I always find his advice helpful, and I thought I might be able to discover a leak in my game buried somewhere in the pearls of Irie's wisdom. Lo and behold, there it was, shining like a beacon to the poker promised land! I can't believe I hadn't noticed this myself....

Granted, it didn't hurt that I started winning one race after another, hitting my draws for cheap and then getting paid, bluffing at all the right times and sucking out when I got called, and absoluting labelling a couple of opponents with bad beats, but all of that stuff is random and pales in importance to the proper St. Pauli inspired attitude that ALL of the chips on the table belonged to ME, that my opponents were just borrowing them temporarily, that I COULD NOT be beat, that I was the best player at the table, and that I was going to WIN EVERY TIME.

Thanks Irieguy!

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad I could help, CC.

Please do not underestimate the effect of the Glenlivet on your game. There are several documentated case studies involving loosing $11 players who were able to beat the $215's for extended periods of time with the help of a single-malt scotch.

Anecdotally, my partner decided to fire up a round of $30/60 after a heavy night of substance abuse last week and soundly defeated all foes, even though he is normally a $33 SNG player... leading me to believe that the full potential of medicinal aids in poker has not yet been tapped.

I wish I could find Frozen... I think he may have been onto something.

Irieguy