Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Any significant strategy adjustments for the t1000 start stack at $50?

Other than the obvious you can play a couple more speculative hands in late position stuff.

Or should I keep my winning strategy from the $30's?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Any significant strategy adjustments for the t1000 start stack at $50?

Be very, very careful about the "play a couple more speculative hands in late position stuff." This can be an excellent way to reduce your 1K starting stack to 800 or less, which will put you at a bigger disadvantage than it might seem, because you will find that more players are lasting longer, and you may be forced to make marginal push steals a lot sooner than you would like.

Personally, I have found that playing spec hands early in the 55s is a loser unless you are almost positive that you can get in for 1 bet (or 1 more if you are the BB), AND, you think there is someone already in the pot who will pay you off if you make your hand.

A better way to put some of those extra chips at risk is to identify players who play SUPER tight in the early going (e.g., players like yourself) and steal their blinds from them. Or identify weak limpers and steal their limps from them. Or, better yet, have a couple of weak limpers in front of you, and the super tight players in the blinds, and just raise 6BB and watch them all fold.