Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2005, 12:43 PM

Default heads-up all-in: call or fold?

You busted Player B about 6 hands ago to get it heads-up with Player A. You have slight chip lead $75k to $60k, mostly because Player A has folded to most of your preflop raises since it became heads-up.

Blinds are 2k/4k with 500 antes. Player A has been playing fairly tight the entire final table. Player A was smart enough, though, to repeatedly come over the top of Player C (on his right); 4-handed, Player C would limp under the gun and Player A would put in a big raise with position and at least a moderate hand or a strong but vulnerable hand; and Player A would allow Player C to bluff off his chips when Player A had the goods.

Some of the key earlier hands that might affect Player A's perception of you: you folded Ah9d against Player B's all-in (he had you covered) on a board with 3 hearts (Player B showed 9h3d, no pair); you called down Player B once he was the short stack after his 4th-consecutive all-in and your KQ sucked out against his AsJs.

You're on the button (sb) w/84o, you make it $14k total (let's not argue the merits of this bet since it's heads-up, okay?); so it's $8k to Player A; he thinks about it and merely calls (a raise and you were gonna throw it away). You gotta figure he has decent starters since he called a big raise but hadn't done so before.

On a flop of 467 rainbow, Player A's first to act and goes all-in. You think he has 2 overcards.

1) how accurate does your read have to be to make this mathematically correct to call?
2) if you think you're the better player, are you less willing to call?
3) if you think he's the better player, are you more willing to call?
Old 02-23-2005, 01:47 PM

Default Re: heads-up all-in: call or fold?

1) how accurate does your read have to be to make this mathematically correct to call?
Not very, HU this is a damn good hand to be all in with.

Yes, but only if I think he will think he bullied me off.

3) If you think he's the better player, are you more willing to call?
Definitely.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:25 PM

I'd say you have to be pretty confident. You only beat a bluff right now. Your 8 might not be an out if he pushed with a straight draw. I'd be worried he called your raise with 57s, 78, or a low overpair like 88 or 99.

yes absolutely, especially if he's weak-tight. You should be able to get the chip lead back through out-aggressing your opponent.

3) if you think he's the better player, are you more willing to call?
I'd be more apt to call, but I don't believe your hand is that strong. I'd likely still look for another spot to get all of my money in.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:52 AM

1) i haven't done the math, but with 10 outs i think you have close to correct odds to call against AA.

2) as someone else said, yes, especially if you think he'll just keep giving up his blinds. however, if he wins this pot, i'm no longer condident he'll give up blinds readily.