Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2005, 01:14 AM

Default Disc Golf

anybody else play? Just curious; it's a great game/sport.

for those that don't know, it's just like 'ball golf' 'cept you throw little frisbees instead, trying to put them in a basket instead of a hole. it's generally free, played on public courses. the discs are about 8" in diameter, and weigh between 150 and 200 grams. a good thrower can get a driver to fly between 500 and 600 ft. holes are generally between 300ft (par 3) and 900ft (4 r 5)

here's a link if you're interested.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:22 AM

Default Re: Disc Golf

Here is my thread about it.

I play 4-5x a week, and we usually do our 9 hole course twice.

I usually shoot about -1 to +1 per 9 holes (I just got a new disc which is freaking epic though), and me and my friends are having our quarterly frisbee golf pairs "best disc" tourney this weekend. Which is basically 30ish people drinking and getting stoned on the golf course while we rock out to 80's music (a la caddyshack).
Old 02-03-2005, 02:32 AM

I used to play that much, when i lived within walking distance of my course, now it's about once a week when the weather's good. there's great random doubles scramble tourneys every teus where i learned how to play. ever play glow? that's REALLY a bunch of drinking stoners in the park!

here's my bag:

drivers-
Firebird
Eagle
XL
Cyclone
Beast (floppy 161- it deserves its name- gotta stay ON that one or it's accross the street)

mid-
MRV
Roc

...and a half-dozen 171 aviars.

it's really tough to compare skill levels without actually playing together. I did shoot a +5 over 27 holes at De La Viega (greatest course ever- santa cruz), though, which is a pretty good score there, IMO. my home course is pretty weak, though, i avarage about -7 for 18, but the avarage length of the holes is prob 250ft, so that isn't impressive at all.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:33 AM

i bought 2 discs (driver and putter) a couple years ago. played about 20 rounds before i lost both my discs, and never bought any again.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:34 AM

I lose about 1 every four rounds. still cheap, compared to ball golf.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:40 AM

Well. You're a bazillion times better than me....

You could easily shoot like 4 under on our course every time. Holes are around 150-200 on every hole. Some get freaking tricky though.

Anyways, here are my discs

Teebird
Aviar (I hate putters, only use them on like a 50 foot or less shot where i have to hit it straight)
Stingray

The disc I want to get is a championship Valkyrie.

Hey could you reccomend a good disc for tamahawk (?) throws? Most of the holes at our course are perfect for this throw.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:05 AM

they have a course in la mirada off the 5 close to commerce and it's a GREAT sport i really enjoy it only done it a few times though.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:12 AM

Meh. I'll stick to ball (real) golf.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:13 AM

If you are going to throw a thumber/tomahawk/hammer (whatever you prefer to call it) I would recomend using something fairly stable. Such as a 170g banshee. Using a stable disk will even out your flight patterns well until you are proficient at throwing it. Then you could move onto something less stable like an eagle/beast. Generally you want something with a flat dome and above 165g as tomahawks are often used for windy areas or to get over tall obstacles.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to throw a thumber/tomahawk/hammer (whatever you prefer to call it) I would recomend using something fairly stable. Such as a 170g banshee. Using a stable disk will even out your flight patterns well until you are proficient at throwing it. Then you could move onto something less stable like an eagle/beast. Generally you want something with a flat dome and above 165g as tomahawks are often used for windy areas or to get over tall obstacles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for your advice.