Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 02:18 PM

Default River Bet: Yes/No

I don't want to be results driven, but should I have bet a scary river card? I don't have the HH at the moment and am new, so bear with me.

Party 1/2 6-max full table

KQo in SB. UTG is passive/somewhat loose and calls. Fold, button is LAGgy and calls. I complete, BB checks. (4sb)

Flop: JTx rainbow (don't remember x, let's say 4 or 2)

I lead out, BB folds, UTG calls, button raises, call, call. (10sb)

Turns: As - putting two spades on the board.

I check-raise as I knew button would make another bet. UTG cold-calls two and button calls. (11bb)

River: 9s

I lead out and UTG raises, button folds, I call.

Should I play the river the same way? Any mistakes throughout? Did UTG make the correct turn call?

Still learning, thanks for the help, hopefully this was clear enough.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: River Bet: Yes/No

Raise preflop... you want to punish the BB who will probably defend with crap plus you probably have the best hand and equity ....bla bla bla

Bet this river 100% of the time.

If UTG had two spades he easily had odds to call the turn. He was getting 7:1.

I can't say as much about his flop call depending on what his specific cards were. If he called the flop with two low spades no pair and no straight draw than it was probably incorrect... along with his preflop call.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:25 PM

assumign utg called with at leasta flush draw on the turn, he played that street fine getting 8+ button's turn call/raise to 2 (the risk of a re-raise by button hurts his odds but the flush is a bit over 4-1 to river) , can't say re: the flop call. I like your river bet and call. FWIW I would have raised preflop.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:34 PM

looks good to me. you cant check that river. maybe the 9 made him a bad straight.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:40 PM

Given the softness of the 1/2 game and the likelihood that people limped in with all sorts of crap, I think raising pf for value is a decent idea. It is lousy position, though, so just completing isn't a sin IMHO.

On the turn, if you think that the button will bet/raise, I think leading out is better, as you're more likely to trap people for two bets, or maybe more if you 3-bet after the button raises.

On the river, while the UTG's coldcall would give me pause, I couldn't help but bet/call a raise. I think you're ahead >55% of the time anyway.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is lousy position, though, so just completing isn't a sin IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was debatable, but I didn't like my position.

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn, if you think that the button will bet/raise, I think leading out is better, as you're more likely to trap people for two bets, or maybe more if you 3-bet after the button raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe he would have raised me if I bet out.

FWIW, UTG had K6s. Button had Jx and hit the two pair on the flop (I believe J4o).