Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2005, 11:16 PM

Default Temper tantrums good ,bad ,ugly

Okay so I get mad after a bad beat and berate the bad players!!!! I do this live, with friends and in a b@m, and online. I get over it pretty fast and laugh about it 15min later. I have found that the good players will reraise me after this, thinking I am on tilt and try to run me over. I always show down a winner and they quickly revert back to showing me respect on my raises.
I am a winning player , around 3bb hour and know this is a leak in my game well....... I think. Could this be +ev if you do not go on tilt but only give the impression that you are? I really can't stand when others act this way and usually try to crack a joke to not get the fish to tighten up. I am so two faced on this one that I need some sound advice to stop doing this. I AM A SORE LOSER.
I will get flamed for this one, but I really am looking for something I can do after a bad beat to not go off and scare away the people that make me money. I love and respect the game and know I ruin it for others when I do this.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Temper tantrums good ,bad ,ugly

Hiya -

I don't think it's +EV at all showing your temper at the tables, fabricated or real, it may cause two things to happen:

1) People will get up and leave
2) or play "better/tighter" against you.

I think both would hurt you in the long run.

It's probably not a surprise to you, but your competitive drive is probably very high and you expect to win with every hand. You know the strategy, the math, have the experience, and just plain expect to win. Not that there's anything truly wrong with that, but it could affect other areas of your life as well.

I would suggest picking up Dr. Al's book, The Psychology of Poker. I would suggest taking his advice so that you can keep your players at your table. I would also pick up any gambling theory book or re-read any section that deals with gambling theory. Poker is a game with unexpected outcomes. If you got your money in there as the favorite to win because you made the correct decisions, then that's all you can really do.

I would also analyze other areas of your life where you have planned for something to occur only to have life's circumstances take it away from you. How did you react? Was it the same as reacting to the bad beat at the poker table? I think fixing this link could help you enjoy life better.

HTH -

PB
Old 02-13-2005, 10:39 AM

A. How old are you ?

B. I hope you are a good figther.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:28 PM

first of all catching a monster after a bad beat is a gift from up above and is very +EV, but showing your temper like that is -EV. you will run off the players you want at the table and you will run yourself out of games that you want to be at.
my advice is to channel your energy into something else and if that doesnt work a couple Xanax should do the trick.
oh and if you did that [censored] at my table i would break your [censored] neck [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2005, 02:53 PM

Thank you for an excellent post.

Al
Old 02-14-2005, 04:08 PM

Getting so angry indicates you are suffering a lot of pain from the bad beat. You will get over this problem when you learn to care a little less. You are already thinking about the money you lose. I hope you are thinking about the people you are hurting with your behavior. The fish are paying you for their fun. Always remember that. By berating them you are cheating them.

[ QUOTE ]
thinking I am on tilt

[/ QUOTE ]
You almost certainly are on tilt. Many people think tilt is loose/aggressive play due to anger or frustration. Some people recognize that tilt also includes timid play induced by fear, dejection, or depression as well as other emotional reactions that change your play.

All of these tilts have something in common: bias. Loose, tight, aggressive, passive, weak, or confrontational, your game shifts off its center.

There is a another type of tilt where you continue to play your normal game, but inaccurately. Your emotions aren't influencing your decisions, they just interfere with the process. You cannot become as upset as you are without losing something. You don't see and hear some of the things you should. You aren't focused on playing poker and you aren't giving a 100% effort. You aren't as ready for your turn to play as you could be. Your thoughts are less clear and you make more mistakes.

This type of reaction to strong emotion is virtually unavoidable. You need to calm down on the inside. Suppressing your bad behavior is a good idea, but it isn't enough.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always show down a winner and they quickly revert back to showing me respect on my raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
am a winning player , around 3bb hour and know this is a leak in my game well

[/ QUOTE ]

I somehow doubt you are as good as you believe.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:25 PM

3BB/hr? interesting...
for someone who can't keep his temper down, I find that hard to believe. No need to impress us.
Keep it real.
-KidPokerX