Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Rebuilding a bankroll

as a few of you may or may not know, i officially went broke last night. im curious how people how people who have gone broke have rebounded. That said, i am currently reviewing my options. I feel that once i get to $2000 i can comfortably start playing at stakes that will produce dividends for me while at the same time be able to take care of necessities. Here are a list of my options with an analysis of each.

Job waiting tables: I can make about $400 a week doing this. The problem is that i have been doing it for the last 5 years and it is becoming bad to my mental health. Furthermore, i have found that my school work suffers when i am doing this. This option would only yield about 100-150 a week towards a bankroll after taking care of necessities. If i did this by itself, it would take me about 15-20 weeks which is out of the question.

Local tourneys. I can usually find a local live mtt that has a decent payout. This is how i funded my original endeavor over the last 4 or so months. The charity tourneys around here are frequently full of terrible players, but as all of you know, it will take some luck to win one. This could get me where i need to be in a week or make me take a step back.

High stakes cash game: I have a weekly home game that i have been playing in for the last 10 or so weeks. It is a spread limit dealers choice game with a $10 preflop max bet and $20 max bet thereafter. I have detailed notes on all the players there, and i am by far a favorite anytime i sit down at this table. I have pulled $1000 out of there twice, won 200-400 4 times, broke even once, lost 100 once, 150 once and last night 450 which is why i am writing this currently. This is a game that obviously can be profitable, but in a night where i suffer a few bad beats can cost me a significant fraction of my bankroll. I like to have at least 400 to sit down here. This is a little bit more of a reliable win than the tourney, but can be a much more volatile loss.

Online: I could grind it out online, assuming that i make an initial deposit of around 100-200 im estimating that it would take me about two weeks (my play suffers when i multitable sngs) to get up to the 400 that i would like to start operating at the 2-4 omaha hilo and .25-.50 PLO games which would take me perhaps an aditional 3-4 weeks to get to 1500-2000 to get up to the 10-20 hilo and 1-2 PLO. This being said would probably take Around 2 1/2 months to get up to.

With all that i have considered, it is obvious that i am going to have to do some table waiting in the next few weeks. What does everyone here believe would be the most +EV while at the same time would get me where i need to be the quickest?
Old 02-01-2005, 09:46 PM

Default Re: Rebuilding a bankroll

I did a Journal on this a little while ago. Search some of my posts from a few months ago in this forum entitled Rebuilding My Bankroll. Hopefully that'll help you in some way.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:57 PM

staking?

-SmileyEH
Old 02-01-2005, 09:58 PM

I would think the safest bet would be to multi lower stakes (1/2 or lower) Omaha 8 tables online and just continue to move up as your bankroll allows.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:00 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

you still have a gambler's mentality. there are two ways to do it. you can keep taking shots and risk going broke, like a gambler, or you can start playing online as much as possible, and work your way methodically. it doesn't really seem like you've learned your lesson, as you're looking to play in a 10/20-type game, which would require AT LEAST 200 bets even if it was really loose and passive and you were a million times better than them
Old 02-01-2005, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I did a Journal on this a little while ago. Search some of my posts from a few months ago in this forum entitled Rebuilding My Bankroll. Hopefully that'll help you in some way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I missed this series the first time around, but figured I'd read it now. Here they all are.

start

Journal 1

Journal 2

Journal 3

Journal 4

Journal 5

Journal 6

Journal 7

wrapup

post-wrapup
Old 02-01-2005, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you still have a gambler's mentality. there are two ways to do it. you can keep taking shots and risk going broke, like a gambler, or you can start playing online as much as possible, and work your way methodically. it doesn't really seem like you've learned your lesson, as you're looking to play in a 10/20-type game, which would require AT LEAST 200 bets even if it was really loose and passive and you were a million times better than them

[/ QUOTE ]

while this may be true and probably what i need to hear, this is something that i have read that is actually the reason i sat down in this game last night.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:50 PM

Personally, I think cash games is the way to build a bankroll, may take longer, but the variance is not as high as in tournaments.

But ulitmately, it's where you feel the most comfortable and where you feel you have the bet +EV

balt999 Journal about Poker and Life
Old 02-01-2005, 11:13 PM

Is this a not-too-subtle cry for backers? If so, I can't help you. If you really want to rebuild I suggest trying to learn from the whores (read the zoo and BW forum). it's not hard for a small winner with a 1k roll to destroy your waiter pay, with little or no ROR.

You can log many $10-$20 hours (with only breakeven play mind you) a week playing as low as .5/1. and 1-2. If your pride wont allow you to stoop to that level, I'll take a cheeseburger and a heineken.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a not-too-subtle cry for backers

[/ QUOTE ]

nope

[ QUOTE ]
If your pride wont allow you to stoop to that level

[/ QUOTE ]

pride is not a factor, i am a complete whore

[ QUOTE ]
it's not hard for a small winner with a 1k roll to destroy your waiter pay

[/ QUOTE ]

and with less hours put in also

[ QUOTE ]
I'll take a cheeseburger and a heineken

[/ QUOTE ]

I work in a somewhat upscale italian restaurant, a tenderloin panini and peroni is the best i can do.

thanks for your help,
johnny