Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2005, 12:25 PM

Default An honest question about D Boyd

first off, i don't know the guy, have never spoken to him and all i know is what i hear on these baords and whats been shown on TV>

So, just based on this it may seem unlikely to have D Boyd and the word 'honest' in same sentence but i wanted to ask:

Whether you like him or not, he does appear to be a successful poker player on the big circuit, capable of beating the game to sustain a reasonable living. Having said that, why is he so desperate to sell off pieces of himself?

Is that the only way he can make a living now..by having others pay his entries for him? and this is not just about D Boyd, but also other very good players who seem to have to rely on this "backing" to get through.

Of course, if someone wanted to back me and assume all financial risk for my tourney entries, i wouldnt decline, but when you're a supposedly good player already, why would he be so desperate for this?

Just a humbling sign for anyone here who want to be the next great poker celebrity, things may be a lot less rosy than WPT, and BLUFF magazine would have you believe.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Re: An honest question about D Boyd

While it appears it didn't happen, it wouldn't have surprised me if he had managed to sell of 1/4 of his action in those events for WAY more than 1/4 of the buyin price. Given his track record in this industry, I'm glad he failed. However, since he has gotten a good bit of camera time, it wouldn't have surprised me if he had succeeded.

If I could sell 1/4 of my action for 100% or more of the buyin price, I would do it all day long. And probably sell of 3/4 of myself every time. In fact, it would be very tempting to sell of 100% every time. Imagine playing in the WPT Championship, and having a $75K payday locked up no matter how you did. Not a bad living there.

And if you sell only up to 100%, and every buyer knows exactly what they're buying, it's completely and fully honest and ethical to do it.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 01-31-2005, 03:02 PM

I think the key for a pro with the skills to make it but not necessarily the funds to flip $10K every single week -- half a million a year, people, you could have that much variance and not make it back ... or even close to it -- but selling 75% of your action for 100% of your buy-in would seem a solid deal for many:

I.e. sell 15% shares of whatever you're going to win for $2,000 (assuming the 10K buy-in) and have 5 shares.

It would be seen as a solid investment for those with plenty of scratch AND a solid way for better-than-average tourney players to have a defacto freeroll (sort of, seeing as how they still have to flip for their hotel, travel, food).

But, absolutely, selling 10 shares of 25% each is bogus.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 01-31-2005, 03:22 PM

like i said greg, i don't think anyone would decline someone willing to pay one's entry fees, or more.

But peddling yourself around everywhere gets to look desperate. And in no way do i mean to imply that what you did last year was 'desperate'.

You put the word out here once to see if anyone wanted to back you, and some smart people did. You didnt constantly spam the boards or post yourself on ebay.

How much of WSOP win did u actually get to keep?
Old 01-31-2005, 03:29 PM

Based on the evidence, there are only two conclusions to this:

#1 Dutch has the funds, however he wants to try to get backed so as to not risk his funds, where possible.

#2 Dutch is flat broke and can't get money any way else.

Based on posts from most people on 2+2 as well as from Brett Jungblut, I'd have to go with #2. There have been plenty of stories about how Dutch has screwed people by his business ventures in poker so it should come as no shock that poker pros are not exactly shedding a tear for Dutch.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:01 PM

I got almost 60%. I was the largest single backer, having put up about 1/3 of the bankroll.

As for peddling yourself, if Dutch had succeeded with this auction, I suspect we'd see a lot of players who are well known to the general public doing the same. Given the TV coverage Dutch has had, I wouldn't have been shocked if he had drummed up 100% of the buyin or better for a 25% share. Some people out there with too much money know very little about poker.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

P.S. - As for Dutch himself, I saw him in Copenhagen. During the dinner break buffet, I accidentally sat at the same table as him. I saw Warren Karp and another guy I knew, sat down, and then looked at the rest of the table. Oops. I ignored him while I was eating, and then as I was leaving he tried to say hi and I pretty much just waved him off. While I didn't lose a penny to PokerSpot, I know a lot of good guys who did, and I have no interest in having anything to do with Dutch.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:03 PM

Greg, do you think if Dutch was one of the robbers you would karate chop him in the throat and pile drive him through a table?