Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 12:52 PM

Default I had planned on Check/Calling here....

I was just gonna' check call but should I be betting instead?

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (9 handed) converter

BB ($8)
UTG ($67.55)
UTG+1 ($92.85)
MP1 ($28.5)
MP2 ($54.25)
MP3 ($53.3)
CO ($33.9)
Button ($33.25)
Hero ($85.1)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $1, CO folds, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($3) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2, BB folds.

Turn: ($7) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks.

River: ($7) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks.

Final Pot: $7
Old 01-20-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: I had planned on Check/Calling here....

Bet out the river, it's pretty obvious that you've got his number after the turn.

On edit: You might want to value bet on the turn, as well. Calling and then checking to someone always gives them an opportunity to pounce.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:37 PM

I disagree. You're probably ahead on the river, but what worse hands do you expect to call? The only way I'm calling even a small bet is with AK or better. 70% of the time he'll fold, the rest of the time he'll either call and win, or he'll raise and you'll fold. Similarly, you're unlikely to be bluffed in this situation. You've been acting like you were on a flush draw, so a single pair hand won't bet for fear of being check/raised.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:01 PM

I see your point, but unless he was trying to take it down on the flop with nothing, he looks to have a king or worse, and thus may well consider calling a small river bet thinking it could be a bluff. The river is a little iffy, but I still think the turn should be bet to push out a flush draw, which he seemed to represent just as well as you up until the end.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:36 PM

Looks good to me. You may be dominated by a better A, he could have been semi-bluffing his flush draw on the flop, he might have a K or small PP, or he could have just taken a stab at the pot. In most cases if you bet he either folds the losing hand, or calls or raises and puts you to the test with the flush or other winning hand. Unless you really bet out big you're not likely to get a better A to fold, so why throw money out there?
Old 01-20-2005, 04:37 PM

True, you might get a call with a small value bet on the river, like $2-3. There are enough scare cards that you won't get raised by a weaker hand, so you don't have to worry about inviting a bluff by making such a small bet.

I could see an argument for leading the turn. Again, you're not too likely to get called by a weaker hand, but at least you push out draws. If you're raised, you know you're probably beat. What do you do on the river if villian calls? Checking then invites a bluff, which you'll have to fold to. I guess you could lead out for half the pot again, but villian has to be a pretty weak player to call two bets with a weak A or KX.