Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 01:56 AM

Default HELP!!.... Good poker player/ Bad gambler...

I am just starting to use ths site alot but I am new so please forgive if this is in wrong spot or I post this wrong....
I love cards been playing poker since about 7 or 8 .... (When dad first showed me draw and 7 stud)
I have been gambling since the second grade.... (pitching pennies)
My skill level comes from playing cards my whole life, chess, logic thinking (USMC-Electronics school), and trying to learn all I can about holdem.. (Books, watching live players, and playing just about everyday when i have the money)
The problem I have is I take all my skill all my insites everything I have to my advantage and throw it out the window...
Examples
Have sat down at the Trop in AC run the table for 2hrs(1/2 NL max 300 buy in) be up over 1000 dollars and then snap and just gamble any two cards no matter what try to make moves for no reason call when I have to be beat (dont even have k high)... ok thats a little much but you get the point..
Play home games and know I am one of the better players but than for some reason just start to gamble on anything... Like I need the action
I will bet on anything if the outcome is not yet determind..
I bet that Kelly would win the first American Idol at sportsbet.com
Its like I take the time to learn, watch better players, read what I can, play as often as I can (money premitted) but at some point during the time i sit to play; I throw everything out and just gamble like I whan to gamble more and play poker less...
I want to preflop raise with 72os hit the mircale flop and just pound you .... I want to call a 100 bet on the flop with a gut shot str8 draw and not even have pot odds for it...
If I could lose that part of my brian than my game play would be amazing.... I love poker I am good at poker want to even try and make a go at poker but I gamble like Chit...
Someone help if you have this problem or know someone that beat it... can I take a pill???
Really if there are any hints or advice I would like to hear it thanks.

See my poker hero is Stu U. (but i think thats the gamble side of me ... the i need action all the time guy)
When it should be someone with alot of money and a great quility of life.... (Doyle or Danny)
Well thanks all sorry if I carried on to long...

Later,
Wnewcomb.... AKA.. nukemextreme
Old 01-18-2005, 02:33 AM

Default Re: HELP!!.... Good poker player/ Bad gambler...

if you want to be a good player, you have to stop making decisions based on what you want to feel and start making them based on getting the most long-term EV out of every situation (read the theory of poker).

if you can't do this, you should play poker for fun (at stakes where you dont care about the money) or not play at all.

the reason you gamble is that you want to. if you can't control the urge to gamble STOP DOING IT. be accountable to someone. i mean stop gambling and get help.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:49 AM

It really sounds like your problems, while
manifesting themselves in poker, start and
end elswhere.

Get your head straight, and your problems
solved before you get too serious about
poker.

Good luck.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:27 AM

Despite his extraordinary skill, your hero, Stu Ungar was a world class sucker. He was so addicted to action that he would bet on anything. He got hustled for $80,000 the first time he played golf. Stu died broke, and he owed anyone who would loan him money. His problems were aggravated by his drug addiction, but a degenerate gambler will blow his bankroll anyway.

He was not the only great poker player whose need for action destroyed him. Some of the top poker players just ship money to the crap tables and other games.

If you have such an extreme need for action, the ONLY smart thing for you to do is quit gambling completely. Don't play poker. Don't pretend you can control your addiction.

The essence of any addiction is that it can't be controlled.

I don't care how well you play, that need for action will destroy you.

I regret having to be so harsh, but you are in extreme danger, and it would be irresponsible of me to pretend otherwise.

Regards,

Al