Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Where did I go wrong?

I know the flop c/r is the way to go but this tables avg pot has been about 120 last 15 hands so I was trying to keep it where I could only lose a little since people were calling with every backdoor draw no matter what.
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (16.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 19.50 BB

Also, I was going to c/r the turn for value but after button raised I had a bad feeling MP2 had me drawing to 1 out.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:50 AM

Default Re: Where did I go wrong?

"Where did you go wrong?" Everywhere man. Tight aggresive is the way to play this game.
Preflop: eh okay,
Flop:Bing Bing, c/r the flop! You're missing bets left and right here. You really have no business playing this game if you are worried about losing money. You want everyone calling with every backdoor draw. More money for you, yum yum. Pump the pot.
Turn: Why in the hell do you assume he has a set? I could just see that he hit his AK or AQ or something like that here. If he does have it so be it but you're losing a lot of money (ALOT) by not raising when he doesn't have a set then you are losing money by betting and raising when he does.

Passive play is how you lose money in poker. If I was MP2 I say to myself thank you very much sir for not taking more of my money.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:53 AM

I was happy with my play,but I am going mainly by results. and the turn card scared me and the river completed the OESD and the backdoor flush
Old 01-15-2005, 02:01 AM

Well I wouldn't be, and if you want to become better at this game you shouldn't be. Nor should your way of looking at correct play be results orientated.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:14 AM

Preflop looks fine. Look at your hand and I'm sure you'll find instances on all other streets where you missed bets, a lot of them.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I was going to c/r the turn for value but after button raised I had a bad feeling MP2 had me drawing to 1 out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because someone raises preflop, doesn't automatically mean they have AA.

MOST OF THE TIME THEY DON'T.

IMO, the turn Ace is a great card for you. Because now he's going to likely call all the way down with his AK, AQ, AJ ....

EDIT: However, you are *posting* this hand for discussion.... just remember, "hindsight's 20/20"
Adam
Old 01-15-2005, 02:40 AM

Like everyone else said, preflop is ok. The rest though you played way to passively. I didn't notice what limit you are at but if you are afraid of losing money you should definitely drop back down in limits.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:45 AM

Thats the funny thing is. I didn't think he had AA but for some odd reason I put him on 1010. That was what caused me to be so passive and the turn made me convived he had 1010 since I knew the button had an ace so there was a better chance of 1010 then AA.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thats the funny thing is. I didn't think he had AA but for some odd reason I put him on 1010. That was what caused me to be so passive and the turn made me convived he had 1010 since I knew the button had an ace so there was a better chance of 1010 then AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh.

What about, 55, A5, AT, Ax ... ?

Adam
Old 01-15-2005, 02:56 AM

Unless you have some kind of psychic gift, I don't think you should be putting him on hand this early at all. You should however be putting him on a range of hands. FWIW, from the way this hand played out I think it's more likely he has AT, then him having TT or AA. I believe that a lot of players at 3/6 would play AK or AQ like this too.