Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2005, 01:28 PM

Default 88 River Play against preflop 3bettor

I like everything in this hand except the river play. I think I should have bet/folded rather than check/called because theres a chance he'll fold a worse hand and will have a hard time raising since a one card straight is out.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: (12.40 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: (9.20 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB folds.

River: (11.20 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.20 BB
Old 01-13-2005, 06:47 PM

Default Nobody ever replies to my posts! n/m

grr
Old 01-13-2005, 07:03 PM

Default Re: 88 River Play against preflop 3bettor

[ QUOTE ]
I think I should have bet/folded rather than check/called because theres a chance he'll fold a worse hand and will have a hard time raising since a one card straight is out.

[/ QUOTE ] If this is your thinking than betting out is wrong, because he may raise you with a better hand and may also bluff with a worse hand. So check calling is better. The only reason to bet would be if you thought you could get a better hand to fold or a worse hand to call. Why would you want a worse hand to fold?
Old 01-13-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Re: 88 River Play against preflop 3bettor

I think your line is fine. But I would re-think that idea that you wouldn't be raised there a lot by the button holding an ace just because A234 is on the board. You raised pre-flop and probably dont have a straight.

The only hands that the button would even think about laying down that beat/split you are 88/99/TT, unless hes ultra-weak and would lay down a jack here.

Those mid pairs are definitely possible here. I probably wouldn't play those hands the same way on the button given the action, but I see a bunch of people who play in the 5/10 game who would. You'd need a pretty good read to know that a) they wouldn't bluff-raise you with a worse hand here often, and b) they would lay down a mid pocket pair here. Basically, a weak-tightie type.

Check/call against anyone else. I'd like to think you're good 1/13 times, but its probably not a whole lot more than that.