Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2004, 04:39 PM

Default AKo: Some interesting postflop decisions

Average 5/10 table. UTG is loose, but I don't have a handle on his aggressiveness yet.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

I've become disenchanted with raising the flop in spots like this. I still do it sometimes, but it seems like I get 3-bet or bet into again on the turn a lot.

Turn: (4.70 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>...

Unfortunately, that leads to spots like this. I figure there's some chance I'm ahead, I just don't know how big it is. If UTG has two pair, I have between three and nine outs to hit a better two pair. But with a third person in, some of them might be dirty. I have four outs (three clean ones) for the nut straight... which might cause a split.

I see all three options as being reasonable here. But when I'm uncertain, I tend to...

Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (10.70 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

I was about to click the bet button, but I decide at the last moment to check.

Any thoughts? I think all three postflop streets are interesting and debateable.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:57 PM

Default Re: AKo: Some interesting postflop decisions

I've become disenchanted with raising the flop in spots like this.

I can understand that, but I think raising is the thing to do here. With two overcards, a gutshot and a backdoor draw, this is one time that I would raise with overcards. If you do get three bet or bet into again on the turn, it's not the worst thing in the world, since you still have outs. Also, as you pointed out, you may avoid the awkward turn situation you found yourself in.

If you don't overuse the raising with overcards play (I'm not saying that you do), then the times you do go ahead and do it you will get more respect with it. It would be tough to three bet you on this flop without a pretty good hand, unless the opponent was very aggressive.

The way the hand played out, I'd bet the river.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:59 PM

Default Re: AKo: Some interesting postflop decisions

[ QUOTE ]
I've become disenchanted with raising the flop in spots like this.

I can understand that, but I think raising is the thing to do here. With two overcards, a gutshot and a backdoor draw, this is one time that I would raise with overcards. If you do get three bet or bet into again on the turn, it's not the worst thing in the world, since you still have outs. Also, as you pointed out, you may avoid the awkward turn situation you found yourself in.

If you don't overuse the raising with overcards play (I'm not saying that you do), then the times you do go ahead and do it you will get more respect with it. It would be tough to three bet you on this flop without a pretty good hand, unless the opponent was very aggressive.

The way the hand played out, I'd bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:25 PM

Default Results

My hand was a distant third.

UTG won the silver with A5, and BB won the gold with the monstrous AcTc. At least this hand gave me a good read on both players...