Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2004, 04:47 PM

Default Hand Analysis: AKo early in tournament

How is my line on this? Do you push preflop here? I thought it was a bit too risky given that neither opponent had raised preflop thus far, and one cold calls 250. I chose to take a flop, getting great pot odds on my call.

MP1 and CO are the two loosest players at my table. Neither have shown this much strength preflop thus far. I've been raising a lot of pots (catching good cards, but getting sucked out on several times).

The flop is great for me. Should I have trapped here instead of leading out?

I should mention now that this is a $30+3 Party MTT.
---
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (10 handed) converter

UTG (t405)
UTG+1 (t895)
UTG+2 (t1785)
Hero (t1325)
MP2 (t745)
MP3 (t1485)
CO (t2135)
Button (t945)
SB (t945)
BB (t675)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t80</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to t250</font>, CO calls t250, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls t170.

Flop: (t780) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1075 (All-In)...
Old 12-29-2004, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Hand Analysis: AKo early in tournament

I might check raise all in. Your play is certainly more conservative. Either way is fine, though.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:53 PM

I like pre-flop. No need to push this early in the tourney with two players liking thier hands. I check the flop though. No limit is about trapping and the only hands your currently ahead of that your worried about are Flush draws which can pretty much only be the AQ of spades. I'd take my chances and let QQ, JJ, or 1010 bet the flop then come over the top.

Hope it turned out alright.

Peace

Goodie
Old 12-29-2004, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I might check raise all in. Your play is certainly more conservative. Either way is fine, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

After thinking about it, I really do think I should have trapped/check-raised here. Against these particular opponents, I couldn't see laying this hand down.

Against one of them, the push on the flop may have been more correct. They were pretty loose preflop, but passive (called way too often) post-flop.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

After thinking about it, I really do think I should have trapped/check-raised here. Against these particular opponents, I couldn't see laying this hand down.

Against one of them, the push on the flop may have been more correct. They were pretty loose preflop, but passive (called way too often) post-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

if they called too much postflop, then I would prefer a smaller bet of say 500-600 and put the rest in on the turn. If there's a decent chance of this getting checked around if they don't have an ace, then go ahead and bet out a half to three quarter sized pot bet.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:01 PM

Looks good to me. Don't really see any other line pre flop. On the flop, I could see trying to c/r all in, but I think pushing is best. You will get called by hands like QQ or JJ on party a lot here, and if someone has aces or kings, you were going broke anyway. I really would hate to see this checked around, so I like pushing more than going for a check raise here. (betting about half the pot is also an option, but why screw around? It's early in a party tourney, Betting big is probably the greatest EV.)
Old 12-29-2004, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hope it turned out alright.

[/ QUOTE ]

Each of them thought for 20-30 seconds and then folded. I think I wasted a good opportunity to double up.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if they called too much postflop, then I would prefer a smaller bet of say 500-600 and put the rest in on the turn. If there's a decent chance of this getting checked around if they don't have an ace, then go ahead and bet out a half to three quarter sized pot bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes sense. I think there was a chance it would checked around, though pretty small now that I think more about each player. They were pretty horrible, I really thought that if one of them had QQ-TT, I would get a call.