Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2002, 03:41 PM

Default Why buy a seat won in a satellite?

Why would I want to buy a tournament seat that someone else won in a satellite? I can understand if it was heavily discounted, but 10% wouldn't do it for me. At the wsop, tournament chips are sold for face value, so this isn't just in reference to online tourneys.

Wouldn't I (and everyone else in the tournament) prefer that the seat go unsold, thereby leaving that dead money in the prize pool?
Old 07-17-2002, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Why buy a seat won in a satellite?

Lol

The seat will be used. You can chop it up into other seqats thru PokerStars.

MS Sunshine
Old 07-17-2002, 03:51 PM

Of course you would prefer it to go unsold, if "you" refers to the entire field.

However, if there are 100 players in a $1000 + 50 buyin event, would you rather have that $10 value of it being unsold, or the $100 value of buying it at a discount of $100 below face value?

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 07-17-2002, 05:13 PM

Of course your answer makes sense. How do you explain that the online seats sell at a discount, and the wsop chips don't?
Old 07-17-2002, 05:21 PM

I don't know why you think this question is funny, other than your obvious bias (you have a seat for sale), and you think I am somehow slighting you. But the seat won't be used unless it sells. Since I don't play online, I don't care if it does or not. It just seems odd to me that people win seats they aren't going to use, and then charge prices at or near the same as can be had from those that run the tournament.

Splitting the seat really doesn't have anything to do with my question, but I think it is bad business for PS to do this on a case by case basis. It would make more sense to issue tournament chips like the wsop.
Old 07-17-2002, 06:59 PM

Of course, the seat will be used by someone. I had two $1K seats, I split one and I'll play the other. It will not just disappear.

Also, they don't sign you up twice into a tournament, PS would get the money if it was not used or sold, not the players.

MS Sunshine
Old 07-17-2002, 07:04 PM

WSOP tournament chips sell at a discount to face value most of the time.

MS Sunshine
Old 07-17-2002, 07:47 PM

PS would get the money if it was not used or sold

That hardly seems fair. I guess this was a freeroll, but why should that be any different than if the players had paid to enter a satellite?
Old 07-17-2002, 07:56 PM

I have never seen them sell for less than face value. When we go to sign up for the event, there are people standing there with the chips for sale. There is no negotiating, you either buy them or you don't.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:50 PM

I worked at the Horeshoe, when Jack B., ran the place for seven years, and chips were sold for less than face value, $500 all the time during the tournaments, usually around $485.

You may have seen some chips sold in line to buy them, at face value, but outside of that, they sold for less alot of the time.

MS Sunshine