Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2004, 01:13 PM

Default explain the party 15/30 game to me...

Seems like Every other post I read, somebody is saying how poor the play at the Party 15/30 games is. Can somebody talk, in any detail, as too why the play is so poor?

What can a player do too exploit this poor play to the max?
Old 11-22-2004, 01:15 PM

Default Re: explain the party 15/30 game to me...

If you really need to ask these questions, you honestly shouldn't be playing in the 15/30.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:27 PM

I will take that into consideration. I am not a clueless player at all, and I'm not asking because i'm clueless...I have my own thoughts on the matter.

I'm wondering what other players thoughts are.

I will take your post into consideration, however please post something relevant to the topic of my original post.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:34 PM

seems like his post was pretty relevant to me. i don't understand how much elaboration is needed on "poor poker play".... and again, if you do not know how to exploit said poor play.... then i am not really sure why you would want to dive directly into the 15 unless A) you have a huge bank roll and just want to try it out or B) you have a strong desire to set sail for felt.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:55 PM

Well I for one, don't think these games are anywhere near as easy as some of you make them out to be. Yes, you'll find people playing way too many hands and going too far with them... But many of these games have almost a ridiculous amount of aggressiveness and tenacity, which can make for difficult adjustments in order to capitalize on mistakes and poor play.

I do think the poster's question is far too broad to be given a reasonable one-shot answer, but I don't think it's a bad question in it's premise. I certainly wouldn't say that seeking solutions to some of the things that might be posing a problem for him necessarily means he shouldn't be playing the game.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:58 PM

ok. Here's my take. on Nov. 4th, I deposited $100 into party poker. I have set some rules that i apply only for my own game and which I pretty much follow vehemently (spelling).

Rule number 1: I don't play at any limit of which I do not have 100x the small bet.

I had worked that 100, up too 200, then to 300 to play 3/6. next thing I know, i am playing 5/10 with 500 and couple hours later, i'm playing 10/20 with over 1k. Get to 1500 and start playing 15/30.

2 days ago, I withdrew 1300 and I still have 1722 in my account right now. (this may be a falacy, but I, like most other poker player, believe I'm a good player. This belief, called confidence, is a key proponent to poker success. I however, do not believe I'm infallable or perfect and am always looking to improve my game.)

I find that beating the lower limits is much harder than the higher limits as I sit full tables, and with so many poor players calling all sorts of bets on all sorts of draws, It's very likely that ONE of the 5 players who cold called my pre flop raise at the full 1/2 or 2/4 table is going to draw out on me.

Like I said, I have my theories about the 15/30 tables, but I just wanted to know what everyone else thinks.

To answer your question...I do NOT have a lot of money. I am NOT rich. I am NOT wanting to gamble. I would classify myself as a TAG who wants to increase his profit potential.

As of right now, I probably win about 2/3 of my sessions, 1 session lasting maybe 4 or so hours with 1 or 2 sessions a day.

I'm curious however, as too why I'm going on such downswings. For instance last night, I was up too 2700 from 2000 after about 3 hours of play. Next thing I know, I have back to back hands (which are posted below in this forum) that cost me a lot of money. 30 minutes later, i'm back where I started. This was quite frustrating as it seemed like a waste of time.

Maybe what I'm looking for is a plug too my leaks. But what I'm asking, is for your opinions on why the games are so bad.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:19 PM

hahhahahahahhahahhahahahhahaha

Post of the week.

-SmileyEH
Old 11-22-2004, 02:25 PM

Just a bit of advice: The 15/30 game, due to its aggressiveness, is very volatile. If you are playing with 50BB, don't be surprised when you bust out. Even the best players go on several hundred BB skids in this game. I've had several 100BB swings in each direction over a pawtry 25k hands or so.

A big lesson in poker is learning to play within your bankroll. Most people go bust a few times before they really learn it (I know I did!).
Old 11-22-2004, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rule number 1: I don't play at any limit of which I do not have 100x the small bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh boy. General rule of thumb is to have at least 300x the Big Bet before moving up. Most would feel very uncomfortable with that though, as 300 BB downswings happen from time to time no matter how good you are.

Keep playing 15/30 if you want to go broke, because it will happen. Check out bicyclekick's post about his bad session. He lost about 70 big bets in one night, which would be $2100 and your entire bankroll. The swings you're talking about are very small for that game. You've been very very very lucky so far.

I hope you'll take this advice for what it is, but I have a feeling you'll have to learn from your own experience. Drop down to 3/6 if you don't want to go broke.

Justin A
Old 11-22-2004, 02:50 PM

What can a player do too exploit this poor play to the max?

If you are wondering why your question is being laughed at it is because if you were as good a player as you think you are, you'd know that bad play comes in many forms and thus takes different ways of exploiting.

BUT if I had to give a general response to your vague question it would be this:

Value bet more, bluff less.