Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2004, 02:09 PM

Default Am i a sissy?

playing a 10+1$ NLHE tourney on stars.
1 hour of rebuys.
Then a double add on.
Now playing for 1h45.
Rebuy period is over.
Av stack is around 15,000
I have 4,000.
Table is 9 seated.
S1 29,000T
S2 31,000T
S3 14,000T
S4 5,000T
S5 32,000T
S6 Roy 4,000T
S7 9,000T
S8 5,000T
S9 21,000T =button

so my stack is far below average.
Blinds are 100/200, ante 25.
A round costs me 525T so 9-10 rounds and i'm out if i don't do anything.
Horrible hands from the beginning of a tournament, had to play VERY few of them.

With ante and blinds, 525T in the pot.
UTG raises it to 800.
S4 and S5 fold to me.
I don't like my situation.
99 is the best hand i had from the beginning of the tourney (no pair of big ace in 110 hands).
But, UTG is a solid player so i put him on 2 overcards or an overpair.
If i call with 800T raise, i'm down to 4,200T.
Obviously what i want is to flop a set.
But, even if i flop it, not sure i can extract enough to justify my call preflop (8,5 to 1 to flop a set).
I should add that, behind me, S9 is an aggressive player. What would i have to do if i have to face a consistent raise?
I'm not proud of it, but i folded my 99.....
I thought i could wait for a better opportunity and it came, but it ended with a bad beat (that's another story).

After i folded, S9 called.
Blinds folded.
Flop is 9 high....
hand is checked till the hand.
UTG shows AQsuited
S9 shows 7Tsuited.

With S9's call, i think that my odds get better.
then here i should have played the hand BUT considering the risk of a re raise was subsequent, i'm not sure if it such a stupid lay down.
should i have called?
if i call and S9 re raises, what should i do?
what is the maximum raise from UTG that you would call?
Etc...
Any idea greatly appreciated.
I really feel like a sissy with that hand...
Old 11-19-2004, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Am i a sissy?

I would have called or pushed. If S9 re-raises, maybe you have something to worry about, but I would definitely call or raise with 9-9. If you raise, you'd have to push all-in and put the raiser to the test, to decide whether his A-Q is no good. If you push and he calls, it's very likely you're against overcards. I don't think that there's any reason to automatically assume that you need to hit a set in order to go forward after the flop. I'd say, if you just call, push on the flop if checked to you and no high cards flop. You can easily get away from the hand if the flop looks scary.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have called or pushed. If S9 re-raises, maybe you have something to worry about, but I would definitely call or raise with 9-9. If you raise, you'd have to push all-in and put the raiser to the test, to decide whether his A-Q is no good. If you push and he calls, it's very likely you're against overcards. I don't think that there's any reason to automatically assume that you need to hit a set in order to go forward after the flop. I'd say, if you just call, push on the flop if checked to you and no high cards flop. You can easily get away from the hand if the flop looks scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

If i raise all in, it's a 25 big bets all in, i think it's way too much for my nines.
If i raise the minimum (make it 1,600) then i'll be quite pot commited on the flop. But if i am reraised all in preflop then i know i'm beat.
And if he calls, then, no, i don't think he wil have two overcards. He will have an overpair or AK as only possible overcards. He's solid. That's the main thing for me=>among the hands he can hold, most will make my nines a huge underdog.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:37 PM

i think you made the right play. calling would have been bad, IMO. i think this is push-or-fold.

if the raise had come from a later position, or if you had fewer chips or, say, JJ, or if you had some kind of read on UTG, it'd be a push.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:31 PM

The worst move you could make is raise the minimum. If he has any hand at all he'll have the odds to call an additional 800. If you push, you're pushing a little more than six times his bet, which I think is a very good amount for him to decide whether he wants to call or fold. In this situation, I'm looking for him to fold. I don't see any point in popping it back 4X his bet, because you're committing 3200 of your 5000, so you may as well push and scare him off his overcards. Again, I think this hand is better to a fold than a call.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:55 PM

I would have folded here too. As a rule of thumb, to call for set value you need to win 10 times the amount of your bet when you hit the set (accounting for, among other things, the fact that you can lose with a set). Here, you need to call 800, and even if you double up every single time you win, the pot won't have the needed 8000. Of course, in practice you won't double up every single time; let's say he has AK, and the flop is 9-high, is he going to call after he bets and you raise all-in?

If your stack was smaller, let's say 10 big blinds or so, you really wouldn't have the time to wait for a better hand, and I would recommend pushing with 99.

In the situation as you describe it I think the best course is to wait for another day. I bet you wouldn't think twice about it if that 9 hadn't flopped [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]