Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2004, 01:33 PM

Default Small pocket pair

I get dealt 66 in MP1 (8 handed table, so effectively MP3), EP3 calls, I call. MP2 raises and its 3 to the flop (blinds fold).
flop is 5 4 9 rainbow. I bet, MP2 raises, EP3 folds, I call.
Turn is a 5, puttin 2 diamonds on the board. I check, MP2 bets, I raise and he thinks for literally 15 seconds (i know this is not a tell, but i thought he was about to fold, maybe he was doing it on purpose). He calls.
River is an offsuit 8 making the board 5 4 5 9 8
It was a semi-scare card since there is now a straight on the board, i bet and he thinks for another 10 seconds and finally calls.
Because of the preflop raise and the flop raise I knew he had an overpair (or overcards, but then he wouldnt call the river) so as soon as he called (and not raised) I knew I was beat.
Was this the right play or should I have folded knowing I was beat? Was I WAY too overagg or was this about right? What do you think of the turn C/R? Should I have check-folded instead? or bet out and folded to a raise? Opinions, feedback, please! Been on a little bit of a downslide recently and I think its my way too aggressive play.

Recap:

66 in MP1. PP .5/1
EP3 calls, I call, MP2 raises, folded to EP3 who calls, I call.
flop: 5 4 9r
checked to me, I bet, MP2 raises, EP folds, I call.
turn: 5
I check, mp2 bets, I raise, he calls.
river: 8
I bet, he calls.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Small pocket pair

I think you really need to clean that up before you will get any good replies.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:45 PM

changed it to put a "recap" in of all the action. I explain why I did stuff, looking at the recap I am one hell of a LAG/maniac.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
flop is 5 4 9 rainbow. I bet, MP2 raises, EP3 folds, I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you wanted to feel him out, 3-bet the flop. There are not many players who are willing to cap the flop with overcards.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn is a 5, puttin 2 diamonds on the board. I check, MP2 bets, I raise

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you have something in mind when you went for the check-raise, or did you check-raise because you felt that it was an agressive thing to do?

[ QUOTE ]
River is an offsuit 8 making the board 5 4 5 9 8

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluffing this river after he called your check-raise is a terrible idea. If he has overcards, he's not going to call you, and if he has an overpair, he's not laying it down. Would you really have check-raised with a 67 for a striaght draw when the 5 paired? Your play isn't really consistent with the straight draw, so it's not a scare card.

[ QUOTE ]
Was this the right play or should I have folded knowing I was beat?

[/ QUOTE ]

According to what you said, you only knew you were beat after he called the river bet. At that point, you can't do anything anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
Was I WAY too overagg or was this about right?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a bad question to answer, because you're asking about the play, and not the thinking that led to the play. On the turn, did you think your hand was likely best, or did you think you were behind? Your assessment here will help answer your question about appropriate agression.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:16 PM

I agree with what Aaron said.

Leading off the flop is fine, as you will be ahead a lot of the time here. The fact that he raised you doesn't really mean that much; many players will "ego raise" the flop with overcards.

The check-raise on the turn doesn't make much sense. If he has overcards, you want him to fold before he catches, and your check-raise makes that less likely (and could have given a disasterous free card). If you think you're ahead, betting out is probably better.

The river bet is really, really bad. Villian is not folding any hand that has you beat, and he's not calling with any hand that you can beat. Basically you are costing yourself an extra BB when behind while gaining nothing when you're ahead. The pre-flop call is at least questionable, you might have 3-bet the flop, and I hate the turn check-raise, but the river was the worst-played street IMO.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Been on a little bit of a downslide recently and I think its my way too aggressive play.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's the case, you may want to scale back on how aggressively you play low pocket pairs. It sounds like you played the hand decently, given a shorthanded table. However, you might just want to give up small pairs if the flop doesn't improve your hand and your opponent(s) show resistance... I suspect you had cultivated a table image that encouraged your opponent to challenge you. If you're one to semi-bluff or steal pots, you're opponent may catch on and fight back to narrow your odds of winning in those situations. Personally, just to check my play, I'd tighten up a little bit if I were you. Play the low-mid pockets pairs if you can do so cheaply, and then tone it down after the flop. Try that for a day or two to see if your net improves.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:51 PM

On the turn I thought my hand was best, I thought he had overcards. I should have 3-bet the flop, your right. Thats the far better play. That would have changed the later streets a lot I think. thanks for the help