Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2004, 10:41 PM

Default sngs vs NL ring

Sngs Vs NL ring games

I did a search on this subject, and I couldnt find anything useful despite the fact I know that there have to be several old threads about it.

Well, how many of you play both or did at one time? I am looking mainly for $/hour and BR reqs in comparasion for the two.

I already know that 20-30x the BR is good for SnGs (50x if I move up to 100s perhaps) I currently hover between the 30s and 50s depending on where my BR is at the time. My roi is roughly 30% after over 1000 SnGs.

Now here are some of my own conclusions by using PT stats. Playing a NL ring game seems to have the same blind structure as the 1st level of a SnG (relation of BB to the stack size you start with)

Can I play a NL ring game aproximatly like I play the 1st level of a SnG? Or do I need to play more hands? Are people less willing to get all their money involved because its real opposed to chips?

In my research I found someone saying that your BR should be about 20-25x the buy in which seems to be simalr to SnGs, but I couldnt find any info on $/hour that can be made while playing NL ring.

My BR will only permit me to play the $50 NL ring(.5-1) Can I make aproximatly the same amount of $/hour there? Is it less? More? do I need to play significantly different?
Old 10-28-2004, 01:40 AM

Default Re: sngs vs NL ring

If you are worried about the bankroll requirements and making good money, SNG's are the best way to go, and there's no comparison. Granted, the smaller NL ring games are simple to beat, but I don't think that they're nearly as profitable as the SNG's. I know somebody very well who plays 4 SNGs at a time, and this person wins X/hr, with an hourly std deviation of 3.2X/hr, with a sample size of 2000 tournies. This is insane compared to any gambling game I've ever heard of. If you want to make more money, and you're good enough, then you may be able to find very big games and play them, but otherwise, party's sng's are where it's at.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:50 AM

Thanks, that is what I thought. The BR requirments for SnGs compared to the amount of $$/hour you can make is insane for a winning SnG player.

It comes with a few problems, one being that once you are in a game you are stuck playing it till the end. This is sometimes an issue, but not enough to make me switch.

I will keep at SnGs untill I master the 109's. I am not convinced that the 215's will be a good step for me except for on the weekends with a bigger fish pool. At this level the variation is much higher and the BR goes up more.

(Or am I mislead about how tough the 215s can be)???

Thanks J.A.S.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:41 AM

I've been dipping my toes into $50 NL 6 handed on Party for the reason you state - if I haven't got enough time to play awhole sng to the end. After a bit of trial and error I seem to be doing ok with raise any pair and almost any ace. I should start reading the NL forum I suppose.

The thing about the 215s is the rake back starts to become a significant amount playing as many games as I know you do.

BK

(got dell 2001 yesterday and still going WOW)