Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2004, 06:36 PM

Default Poker Odds resources

Does anyone know any good resources for calculating poker odds. I'm not talking the basics. I can figure my odds of hitting a flush after the flop, etc. But how about things like, I hold a pair of 7s in a full game, what are the odds my hand is best. Or, I hold A/9 one off the button and it's folded to me. What are the odds A/9 is best against 3 remaining opponents.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:59 AM

Default Re: Poker Odds resources

These situations aren't ones that you should make a decision based on the statistics you're trying to find. These are very specific odds you are asking for and there's not a simple website or book that will provide you an answer.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know any good resources for calculating poker odds. I'm not talking the basics. I can figure my odds of hitting a flush after the flop, etc. But how about things like, I hold a pair of 7s in a full game, what are the odds my hand is best. Or, I hold A/9 one off the button and it's folded to me. What are the odds A/9 is best against 3 remaining opponents.

Any help is appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want the exact answer mathematically to these questions, that can be quite complex. Due to the sheer number of possible combinations. A simulation based calculator is more practical. You can find one of those at http://www.twodimes.net/poker/
Old 10-07-2004, 01:32 PM

I am a statistician and I enjoy calculating these things...I have tons of them in my memory too...There aren't any websites for these types of questions, you just have to be good at prob. and combinatorics...

For example, if you are playing against 9 players and you hold A10, your probability of being against an A with a better kicker is around .33, and if you hold A9 it is around .38. So as you can see, A9 or A10 are decent hands as the number of players goes down...

Give me some specific questions and I will respond...

Indiana
Old 10-07-2004, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a statistician and I enjoy calculating these things...I have tons of them in my memory too...

Give me some specific questions and I will respond...

Indiana

[/ QUOTE ]

Just how much did you get beat up in High School? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Signed,

Someone who seriously wishes he could do that math in his head.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:09 PM

This software is probably what you are looking for, and it's a free download:

Poker Calculator

You will also need to download the Java package (rather large) if you don't already have it.