Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2004, 01:30 PM

Default A Math Problem Only A Genius Will Solve

Here's a problem for all you odds and statistics wizards out there. This my first post so please go easy on me if I did something wrong...

Using Turbo Texas hold'em I can find the probability that a starting hand will win versus X players. However, using $.50/$1 at Party as an example, I know that after 24,000 hands, players limp in on the flop 40% of the time and pre-flop raise 5% of the time.

Here's the question: Knowing this information, how can it be used to help standardize my calling/betting patterns?

A more specific example, QQ's have something like a 1/4 chance versus a full table preflop... You're the button and four players (who limp 40% of the time) have limped before you... What is your adjusted probability of winning the hand and how can that be related in a formula to pot size in order to decide if it is worth calling?

I realize this formula ignores position, would require speculating at which hands players are most likely to be calling/raising with, and ends up being just a matter of opinion. However, I just thought it would be a fun brain teaser to see how everyone goes about coming up with a solution. Thanks.