Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2004, 02:06 PM

Default Do old people think twice?

When you eat out for dinner, everyone is trying to pick up the check. But send an old person a social security check in the mail, and does he even think twice?

There are rational arguments that could be made to justify transfer payments from young people to other people's parents. But do old people really contemplate the moral issues? Or do they just say "Whoo-Hoo! Money!"

You have to wonder what kind of person wouldn't be ashamed to accept payment like this. Unless I was angry and bitter and wanted to get even with the world, I would sooner lay down and die than take people's money.

When I see old people in the street, I have to wonder what makes them so comfortable being parasites. And especially when you consider the fake generosity they display, handing you your wallet if you drop it on the ground or something.

Would you accept social security?
Old 07-28-2004, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Do old people think twice?

In the unlikely event that Social Security is solvent when I reach the age to be eligible, I will accept it. I've been paying into the system all these years, so I don't mind getting something back. And yes, I know the taxes I paid will have long since been spent. That's how trans-generation Ponzi schemes work (or fail to work, when demographics change).
Old 07-28-2004, 02:19 PM

Every six months I make a payment for car insurance to my insurance company. If some idiot runs into my car and wrecks it, I won't feel any remorse taking a check from the insurance company.

Those old people entered into an insurance contract with the Government. Every paycheck they had an insurance premium deducted from them. Now they are getting paid for what the Government agreed to pay them.

Why should they feel remose? Do you feel guilty dragging down a pot in poker when you show down the best hand? Ever give the pot to the guy with the second best hand out of guilt?
Old 07-28-2004, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless I was angry and bitter and wanted to get even with the world, I would sooner lay down and die than take people's money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, then who are you angry and bitter with that makes it ok for you to play poker? You are in fact taking peoples money from them aren't you?
Old 07-28-2004, 02:25 PM

Old people have been paying into it for close 70 years. So they deserve it, I guess.... I hate the fact that I am also paying for it, but they are:
1.Old so leave em alone
2. Worked many more years than I have
3. Usually old people are very generous with their money, unless they have lots of presciption drugs to pay for.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There are rational arguments that could be made to justify transfer payments from young people to other people's parents. But do old people really contemplate the moral issues?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you grow up and get a job, you will find that the government takes Social Security taxes out of everyone's paycheck, and that this is a pension plan that everyone is entitled to draw from when they retire. You would have learned this in school if you had paid attention.

The "old people" you dismiss so lightly have been paying into Social Security for decades, and expect the promised return of their money.

What is the moral issue of paying into a pension fund, and then getting payments from it when you retire? What kind of so-called morals do you have that would deny money to people who earned and deserve it? You sound like an Enron executive, stealing employee pensions.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Social Security is my money that I earned. I will not accept it as if it were charity, I will have what is mine repaid to me.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:57 PM

When people try to give me money, I let them.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:41 PM

"And especially when you consider the fake generosity they display, handing you your wallet if you drop it on the ground or something."

Giving a dropped object back to the person who dropped it has nothing to do with generosity or fake generosity. It has to do with common courtesy.

Even parasites don't have to fake courtesy. Some people are just plain courteous without having to think even once about it.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:44 PM

Since I've been paying 7.5% of my income into it for almost 40 years, I'd say its *my* money.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:48 PM

yes, I know the taxes I paid will have long since been spent.

Yes, but it's still *your* money. The fact that the idiots in DC use it to fund their other pet programs doesn't change the fact that you didn't have the opportunity to invest it better (or blow it).