Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2004, 02:56 PM

Default Movie Review: The Bourne Supremacy

Lots of fun. Sort of a combination of The Fugitive and Mission Impossible. Cool camera work and editing. A great hand-to-hand fight scene, and the car chase to end all car chases. If you like that sort of thing, and I don't, it's great. If you don't like it, it's still pretty good.
Everyone is deadly serious, especially Matt Damon, Joan Allen and Brian Cox, (but they're all very good), and the movie is dark and dank.

If you liked The Bourne Identity (and I didn't), you'll love this. If you didn't care much for The Bourne Identity, this should still be enjoyable for you.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Movie Review: The Bourne Supremacy

I liked it. My short description to friends who watched the Bourne Identity was "more action, a little less plot." My longer description was "people do things Bourne doesn't like so he kills them or kicks their ass."
Old 07-26-2004, 03:08 PM

my only complaint would be the lack of an overall thread. is there going to be a third one?

--turnipmonster
Old 07-26-2004, 03:11 PM

Liked it a lot, more than the first one. After the movie, I told my wife that I never considered Matt Damon to be the action hero type but that he was surprisingly good.

I think that there is no doubt that there will be a third movie by the fact that he still hasn't come in.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my only complaint would be the lack of an overall thread. is there going to be a third one?

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

Ludlum wrote three books in this series - Bourne Identity/Supremacy/Ultimatum. Given the strong opening this movie had (far better than Identity, which did well overall), I suspect we'll see the third installment.

Based on her brief appearance in the first movie and her slightly larger role in this one, I wouldn't be surprised if Julia Stiles ends up playing a key role in the third movie.

These books are very dense with tons of interwoven story lines, so these movies are definitely adaptations in the loosest sense of the term.

PS: If this movie does really well, it wouldn't be surprising for them to try to turn this into a James Bond type franchise w/ add'l movies beyond the three books.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:16 PM

Andy,
you didn't like the first movie and you don't like the genre. either someone cashed in some favor chips with you or you have a thing for matt damon.
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2004, 03:20 PM

you didn't like the first movie and you don't like the genre. either someone cashed in some favor chips with you or you have a thing for matt damon.

Cna't it be both.

BTW, I am young, how many JB books are there? I thought there were enough to at least make the first seven or so movies.

-AA
Old 07-26-2004, 03:37 PM

It's a sad day when Americans actually come out of the theatre thinking this was a good film. No plot, no real character development, mediocre camera work, mediocre acting. Lots of explosions and split-second quick-motion camera shots thrown in to keep the movie-go'er on the edge of their seat, but a good film? No. I can't speak for the realism, but the only thing I found good about this film was that they did a good job with the lighting throughout.

Lots of fun. Sort of a combination of The Fugitive and Mission Impossible.

Okay, I'll give you that.

Cool camera work and editing.

Cool? Not really...it was your typical action/thriller camera work and editing in my opinion. Par for the course for this genre. Certainly not anything innovative or unusual.

A great hand-to-hand fight scene, and the car chase to end all car chases.

Ronin has the best driving sequences in a movie. Hands down. After I really watched those, chase sequences like this one don't impress me. It looked like they were trying too hard with their rapid-fire shots of the gearshift, pedals, random "swooshing" of black shots, etc. And like that Saab cab (I thought it was a BMW at first, but I think it was a Saab; could be wrong) wouldn't have stalled at least twice during that sequence...Granted, it was better than the car chases you find in most action movies, but definitely not "the car chase to end all car chases."

If you like that sort of thing, and I don't, it's great. If you don't like it, it's still pretty good.
Everyone is deadly serious, especially Matt Damon, Joan Allen and Brian Cox, (but they're all very good), and the movie is dark and dank.

I didn't like the acting, but dark and dank it was. They did a good job with that, but that's about the only really good thing I can think of to say about The Bourne Supremacy.

GoT
Old 07-26-2004, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cool camera work and editing.

Cool? Not really...it was your typical action/thriller camera work and editing in my opinion. Par for the course for this genre. Certainly not anything innovative or unusual.

[/ QUOTE ]

I beleive the car chase was all filmed with hand held cameras. That's pretty unusual isn't it?
Old 07-26-2004, 04:11 PM

I beleive the car chase was all filmed with hand held cameras. That's pretty unusual isn't it?

I didn't read about how they did the chase sequence, but a lot of films use DV and mini-DV camcorders now and have for the past few years. So no, it's not pretty unusual anymore.

GoT