Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2004, 01:44 PM

Default how was my thinking, and play?

party $100 6max table.
button (hero) $230
UTG (bad fish) $100
UTG+1 (solid player) $150

I am dealt A K . UTG raises to $6, UTG+1 re-raises to $20. I call (?? wanted fish to call too) UTG calls.
(my thinking here is, fish could have anything, solid guy usually would have JJ-AA or AK to bet like this, but could be betting with even weaker to isolate the fish)

flop comes A 7 2 rainbow (7 ). UTG bets $45 (??), UTG+1 folds (perfect)....I think, then put the fish all in for $35 more, he calls. turn is 4, river is 5.
How did I do? I got the flop I wanted with this hand against the fish, so I feel this is the time to push. Should I have laid this hand down preflop, or reraised preflop, or was my cold call for 10x's the BB a good play (with position) to encourage the fish to call. results will come later since I am more concerned with my play (and thinking) rather than the outcome.
thanks
Old 07-26-2004, 01:51 PM

Default Re: how was my thinking, and play?

You lost your suits when you reposted this. Both of your cards were hearts, and so was one on the flop.

Since UTG only has $35 left, I might just call on the flop. If he doesn't have anything, let him bluff again rather than give him any chance to fold.

Pre-flop, if you think UTG+1 is mroe likely to be isolating, I'd probably reraise rather than let them both see the flop. If he is more likely to have a real hand, call and see a 3-way flop. AKs is a very nice hand to play either way in this spot.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:46 PM

Default Re: how was my thinking, and play?

Well. From the beggining. AK in no-limit is not a so good hand to call 10% of your stack. Principally in a re-raised pot, BUT this is theory, and it seems u had a pretty solid read on the table. But wait, you were talking about the fish, but this UTG+1 guy would re-raise only to isolate the fish? Did he make this before? Answer is yes. A good call although risky.
In the flop your worries dissipated about the UTG+1, who folded wihtout the need for pressure from you.
U made top pair, is this enough? I would want to believe, but at this time you only have two options. Put him all-in or fold yourself. So, I guess your push was ok.
What were the results anyway?