Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2004, 07:35 AM

Default I hate 78

2-table SNG at Stars. 14 left. I have about 2500 or so. Villain has about 3100 or so. Blinds are 25/50. I get dealt 78o on the button. Folded to me, I call, SB calls and BB checks. Flop comes J87 rainbow. SB bets 100, BB folds, and I raise to 500, SB raises me all-in. Crap.

What's your move? I don't have a great read on this guy, except he seems like a loose-passive calling station in a few of the hands I saw him play.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:46 AM

Default Re: I hate 78

Kyro,

might be you hate 87 since you don´t play them very well? I mean: You are fist in on the button and call with 87? Why not raise? Why not muck?

Anyway, if I think that SB is a calling station I´d muck my hand. What can you put a calling station in this situation on? At least 2 pair IMHO, maybe (which would actually be better for you) a straight.

Muck it and be confident to have made a good laydown.

Of course this is only based on your read on him (calling station)

Best regards

Martin Aigner
Old 07-24-2004, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Kyro,

might be you hate 87 since you don´t play them very well? I mean: You are fist in on the button and call with 87? Why not raise? Why not muck?

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite possibly. I'm not confident enough on the button a lot of the time to raise it. That's definitely a leak in my game I need to fix. Just to clarify, if I'm first in on the button, it should be a raise or fold situation?

Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:05 AM

Kyro,

at this level, with that many players and your stacksize I´d muck it without hesitation, unless I know the blinds give up way too easily. And even then I´d prefer to muck, since I want them to know that I don´t raise every time I´m on the button first in. This might help you in later stages when the blinds are higher.

If it was in a bubble situation and no short stack, I´d raise with this hand against most players more often that 80%. It´s not so much about the hand but the players in this stages.

Best regards

Martin Aigner
Old 07-24-2004, 08:09 AM

gah, you're right. the tourneys i place in, are the ones where i don't call 78o just because i'm on the button and it's connected. i need more discipline. when i play with discipline, i do very well.

i'm still curious if anyone else out there thinks i should call with this.i thought for about 30 seconds before making my decision.