Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2002, 06:32 PM

Default Best moves in tournement poker ever?

Hi All.

I was wondering what you guys think are some of the best moves ever done in tournement poker?

It could be a bluff, best laydown, best call, or just a sneaky move, etc?

What do you think?

Let me start by giving you, what I think are some of the best moves ever made.

Final table WSOP 2001. Carlos Mortenson big WSOP move!. Here is the hand:

Mike Matusow opened for 60,000. Carlos raised 150,000 from the big blind.

Matusow reraised another 350,000, and Carlos moved all-in for Mike'swhole stack (I think between 500,000 and 600,000). Mike folded pretty

quickly, and Carlos showed Q8o. So, as far as player-reading, pot size, guts, and the importance of the situation, can anyone think of a better move than this?? I sure can't.

Best Call. Eric Seidel's Ace-high call against Alan Goehring in the main even of the WSOP 1999.

Here is the hand:

Siedel made it $60,000 from early position, and both blinds called. A rag flop was checked, and the jack on the turn was checked through also, seeming to put Siedel firmly on AQ or AK. When a 5 hit the river and Goehring bet 150,000, it would figure to either be 97 (for a straight), presto, or a straight steal.

Siedel took awhile, knew what Goehring had read him for, and getting more than 3-1 on his call, took his chances. Normally we all know that calling a bet from the blinds on a raggy board with just overcards is a death wish, but I think Siedel was inside Goehring's head there.

Best laydown. Probably David Chiu's laydown with pocket king against Louis Asmo all-in raise in the 1999 TOC.

But overall I think that Carlos' big move in the WSOP 2001 agaist Mike Matusow is the greatest move that I know of.....

What do you guys think?

Daniel

Old 05-02-2002, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Best moves in tournement poker ever?

I think Matusow said he had Ah6h and Carlos showed the K8o. A lot of guts for sure.

Old 05-02-2002, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Matusow had Ace-2s *NM*

Old 05-02-2002, 08:23 PM

Best move in poker? When I laid down top pair, top kicker to a raise last week 3 out of the money (to a set, which I and only I knew he had) . Busted another with it. I'm the best!!!!!

ROFLMAO
Old 05-02-2002, 08:53 PM

Stu Ungar's bluff of Ron Stanley during the 1997 WSOP was very gutsy envolving brilliant moves in all streets. I can't remember the details though but you'll find it in the tape.

Another brilliant bluff, similar to the one above, was the one Cowboy Wolford made against Jesse Alto in the 1984 WSOP. It's described in the chapter "One of the supreme bluffs of all-time" in Bobby Baldwin's book Tales Out of Tulsa.

Another great bluff is described in Theory of Poker in the chapter about bluffing and semi-bluffing. This hand was between Bobby Baldwin and Crandall Addington.

Old 05-02-2002, 11:29 PM

It's not in a tournament, but I was amazed when I first read about Jack Strauss's 72o bluff.

cu

Ignatius

Old 05-03-2002, 12:00 AM

Hi Ignatius.

Don't think I have read about that bluff. Could you fill me in?

Daniel
Old 05-03-2002, 01:55 AM

Default follow the link in the above post *NM*

Old 05-03-2002, 02:26 PM

This move of Jack Strauss is such a great story, I read it a long time ago (in "The Biggest Game in Town" by A. Alvarez) and I was always dying to try it, in the right circumstances.

I finally got my chance about a year ago and it worked like a charm...

Mirage 20-40 (I know, it's a LONG way from No-Limit, but that's what I was playing at the time)

I've got J8s in the BB. One middle-position raise and it's folded around to me. I peek at my cards and would normally fold this 99.8% of the time, but in a flash I decide to re-raise just for the fun of it; mostly because the limper had been running over the table and I wanted to slow him down a bit, if I could.

Flop came: J-T-T

I figure I have the best hand so I bet, and he raises me. I just call and then check-raise him on the turn when an 8 falls.

He puzzled for a while on my check-raise, talking out loud to himself... "Full house? Did you just make a straight?"

I said, "Let me put you out of your misery... I'll do you a favor. Give me a $5 chip and you can choose either of my cards, and I will show it to you.

The whole table looked back and forth at us, watching the exchange eagerly.

My opponent thankfully decided to play along and tossed over a red chip. I spread each card about a foot apart from one another and rested my fingers on top of them... tilting my head in a quizzical manner, waiting for his decision.

He agonized, and pointed to one, "That one," he said.

As I was about to turn it over, he cried, "No! That one... I changed my mind"

This was more fun than I had expected.

I flipped over the 8.

"If I give you another five bucks, can I look at your other card?" he asked.

I just smiled.

He muttered to himself and chucked his cards face up in the muck (he had QQ)...

I raked in a nice pot and the table erupted with laughter, one guy even got up and went to the other 20-40 table to tell his buddy about what had just happened.

Very enjoyable, and I recommend you try it if the circumstances are right.

CaptainCalamity
Old 05-04-2002, 01:53 AM

nice. very nice. lucky for you he picked the 8. he might not have believed you had JJ when you called his raise on the flop. but he would certainly believe that your 8 had another with it when the turn came with an 8.