Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2002, 08:29 PM

Default Knocked out in the Shi# Can Again

Down to 4 players. 3 players advance from 3 separate tournaments to a final playoff table for WSOP entry plus airfare and hotel prizes plus $$.

Limit tourney. 120 total chips in play. Blinds 2-4. SB has 37 chips, BB has 37 chips, I have 24 chips and button has 22 chips.

I am UTG with AJh. I open raise, hoping to take it right there. Button (loose-aggressive/somewhat tricky) calls. Both blinds fold.

Flop comes 10h,x,x. I bet, button calls. Turn is Qh. Board is 10h,x,x,Qh. I have a backdoor str8 and nut flush draw, plus draw to an A which I think might be good. I check (mistake?), button bets, I call. I call the turn because I feel like I am trapped now for all my chips as I am so short stacked. I have 4 chips left, button has 2 chips left.

River is blank. I miss everything. I check, button bets his last 2 chips, I call. He takes down the pot with Q,10 off.

My questions: 1)should I have been in that pot in the first place? 2)should I have just sat on my chips and not played a hand until the button eventually made a move and possibly got short-stacked or busted at which point I would slip into 3rd place and win a spot at the final table? 3)is there some other way I should have played this hand that I am not seeing?

Old 04-22-2002, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Knocked out in the Shi# Can Again

I would have bet the flop to see where I stood. Got to give him every chance to fold. If he raises then you have to muck.

Old 04-22-2002, 10:11 PM

If the button has been consistently playing this loosely, then you might have been better off to fold even so good a hand as AJ and see if the button can't either bust himself soon, or take down one of the chip leaders to a super-short stack. Similarly, if the chip leaders are still playing a lot of hands, you can probably wait until one of them busts out against the others.

If all three aren't going to play with less than a very good hand, then raise with AJ for sure, and a lot of other weaker hands, until you steal your way to a safe stack size and can sit on it.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 04-22-2002, 10:46 PM

Thanks for the insight. After the initial shock of getting knocked out of the tourney wore off, I began to wonder if I had made a huge mental error by not holding back and letting the others duke it out. That is often my strategy when the cards are not hitting me hard, and I often end up in the money that way...through the backdoor.
Old 04-23-2002, 03:48 PM

I don't see the point of checking the turn if you intend to call a bet.
Old 04-24-2002, 10:23 PM

The only way to win this indiviual potuld have been to move in on the flop. How could anyone call?