Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2004, 11:11 PM

Default NBA Draft

I have hope for te survival of the NBA. Last years top picks were two ego maniacs(both of which are excellent players) and one quite unpolished serbian. However this year the two top picks seem to be two very grounded and skilled players. Okafur seems very mature, he has no tatoos or earings, which is actually refreshing and Dwight Howard seems young and pure. Maybe he is naive, but I like his attitude. I am hoping the NBA will continue to be filled by players like these two. Maybe then people will start watching it again.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:56 PM

Default Re: NBA Draft

I noticed that there's a Russian who is 7'5" in the draft.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:59 PM

I saw on espn.com's page2 there is supposedly some guy who is 7'11" who is hoping to get drafted. He is from South Africa, never played a single game of basketball, can't block shots, can't shoot free throws, weighs 265, but apparently what he can do is dunk...... this doesn't bode well for the NBA
Old 06-24-2004, 12:12 AM

but he has a built in endorsement waiting to happen.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:21 AM

LeBron and Carmelo are unquestionably the two best rookies as far as the marketing and financial survival of the NBA is concerned in years, maybe decades. You might not like the two and the fact they've been pampered as the phenomenonal athletes they are since they were in junior high, but both contributed more to the survival of the NBA in one year then any rookies since Magic and Bird. I agree Okafor seems like a great guy, but I seriously question his skill set as a top 2 pick. Don't know anything about Howard's game. The Finals did buffo ratings this year and whether you like it or not LeBron is exactly what the league needs to get people watching again if he can reach his potential and make his team compete for the title in a few years.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:43 AM

Lebron is very very good, and the only way people will enjoy watching him and the Cavaliers is if they can play like the great teams from the late 80's and early 90's.... ie TEAM BASKETBALLL.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:56 AM

Okafor is the real deal. The Orlando Magic have a former CIA guy do background checks on potential draftees. After looking into Okafor's past he stated that he was "the best human being I've ever had to do a background check on". He graduated college in an honors finance program with over a 3.7 GPA in five freaking semesters. He's probably the only NBA prospect in the last five years who would have a legitimate chance at a six-figure job by age 25, if he never played basketball again.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lebron is very very good, and the only way people will enjoy watching him and the Cavaliers is if they can play like the great teams from the late 80's and early 90's.... ie TEAM BASKETBALLL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I don't see why you're calling LeBron out for not playing team basketball. He seems to love the great pass as much as the great shot or dunk. Of course the Cavs will only get good if he can meld his individual dominance into the team structure but I don't see why you seem to assume he won't. Just because he's got a Hummer, some tattoos, and big earrings doesn't mean he doesn't know how to play the game the right way.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:00 AM

Maybe you are getting the wrong impression from me. If Lebron can implememt the team basketball spirit in Cleveland, he very well may become more popular than Jordan. I am not saying he can't or won't do that, just if he does that. I like him and Melo, but I just hope they don't get caught up in the hype that is themselves.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw on espn.com's page2 there is supposedly some guy who is 7'11" who is hoping to get drafted. He is from South Africa, never played a single game of basketball, can't block shots, can't shoot free throws, weighs 265, but apparently what he can do is dunk...... this doesn't bode well for the NBA

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a joke, and I can't figure out why ESPN would let someone like Darren Rovell, who usually writes legitimate articles, pen something that's a fabrication. Let some of the other Page 2 guys like Graham Hays handle that.

I'll probably watch a bit of it tonight, even though there's little hope that the Sonics will do anything exciting.