Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2002, 05:57 PM

Default Expensive 5-10 Stud Hand...Played Optimally?

This 5-10 Stud hand occurred online. I haven't played stud in awhile, but jumped back in bc the games on this site are supersoft. There is a 50 cent ante, and a $2 bring in. I start the hand out with (Qd 3s) Qh. 3c brings it in, 8c calls, 7c calls, 9c calls, 8h completes to $5. I raise to $10, hoping to clear the field. I think this is automatic. All the original limpers call, and surprisingly, the person who completed the bet (8h) now folds. 5 to 4th street, big pot brewing. On 4th, the 8c pairs 8s on board. He bets $5, one folds, then 7s9c calls, I caught a 3 on board for (Q3) Q3, and raise to $15 to try to get it heads up again with my two pair(one of his 8s was folded on 3rd by the bring in). One fold behind me, and the 88 and 97 call me. 3 to 5th street, large pot. Here are the hands on 5th, I catch the Kh:

Me (Qd 3s) Qh 3h Kh

Opponent (x, x) 8c 8s Ah

Other Opponent (x,x) 9c 7s 6d

Check to me, I bet $10, both call. Here is 6th street.

Me (Qd 3s) Qh 3h Kh 10c

Opponent (x, x) 8c 8s Ah 10h

Other Opponent (x,x) 9c 7s 6d 10d

Check to me, I bet, the 8s call again, other guy folds.

I don't improve on the end, and it gets checked down. Results to follow and all comments appreciated. I'm particularly interested in comments on 4th street and whether u bet it all the way like i did.

Jeff

Old 09-17-2002, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Expensive 5-10 Stud Hand...Played Optimally?

You've got an easy river bet. You're costing yourself significant money by not value betting the river with your winning hands.

On 4th street, I wouldn't have given the (x,x)8,8 credit for trips and also would have raised with Queens-up.

Old 09-18-2002, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Expensive 5-10 Stud Hand...Played Optimally?

1. the 88 probably does not have trips. he is in a threeway pot with a paired door card one of which is out. there is a real risk that if he checks on fifth it could get checked around. so he would most likely bet if he had trips. so you should bet here. even if he has two small pair you are probably a favorite.

2. with the board you have i would keep betting. you obviously made the right play on sixth street since you got another player to fold.

3. bet the river for sure.

hope you won it. Pat
Old 09-18-2002, 02:30 PM

Default Hello,Jeff! from Sitting Bull1 realize that your...

opponent's "A" is a dangerous card. He fears your possible flush.
I think his A's up took down the pot.
Sitting Bull
Note: I like your 4th Str. and 5th Str. play. But I would have checked/called 6th and 7th.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:04 PM

Default RESULTS and Thoughts

My opponent showed me Aces Up, and won the pot. The good news (if there can be any in the midst of the carnage) is that he rivered the Aces, and was putting in all that money drawing to two pair or the last 8. Sigh. What can you do? About the check on the river...what criteria are u using to decide this? My board is very scary, and my opponent may be concerned about me having a flush. In general, how much value does this bet have? I think betting was probably right, but I felt I may be called or raised by a better hand.

Jeff
Old 09-20-2002, 03:12 PM

Default Hello,Jeff1 Sitting Bull--Betting on the...

river has almost "0" value. U did the right thing by NOT putting in any more money.
Sure,your opponent was afraid of your flush--but NOT enough
to release his hand on 6th. Hence,do not expect him to surrender to U on 7th.
His single "A" gave him some hope of beating your two pairs in case U did not have a flush.
So he believed he had a "shot' when he obtained this "A".
Your early raise indicated more that U were playing a big pair instead of a 3-flush.

H [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img] appy Pokering,
Sitting Bull