Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2002, 06:59 PM

Default Buzzworthy?

Here is an Omaha 8 hand I played. 15-30. Blinds 10-15. I will post my comments after.

5 players call. I am in the small blind with 4d5s5d6h. I call. Big Blind checks.

Flop comes 9h 5c 4h.

I bet.....only one folds.

Turn..... Ks

I bet...all call.

River.....Kc.

I bet...Next guy raises. All fold. I call.

Old 07-16-2002, 07:07 PM

Default Results/Comments

I called and the player showed a king with the Ace kicker and I took the pot. I was rather surprised to have won.

I am fairly inexperienced in Omaha, I understand the fundamentals but my lack of experience makes some situations difficult for me.

The question is: should I bet the flop, check-call, or check-raise.

I really think check-folding is out of the question considering the board is not three lowed and thus I have a chance to scoop.

One problem I have is that a 9 may kill me and there are only three fours left, since I have one in my hand. Also there is a two low, two flush, and straight cards there, so I certainly cannot be a favorite against the field.

In retrospect, I think I need to check-raise and attempt to clear the field. There are two risks I have here, giving a free card and having a early player bet, making clearing the field impossible. However, I may not have enough equity unless I check-raise and clear some of the field.

On the turn the bet is routine, I believe.

On the river, I really considered checking. However, I figured I held most of the full house cards, the only hand that really worried me was a K-9 combination. And against the particular player that raised (rather unaware) folding was out of the question.

Overall comments? How is my overall equity?
Old 07-16-2002, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Buzzworthy?

You'll probably get better responses if you put this in "other Poker Games" where Omaha8 players will look for hands.

Old 07-16-2002, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Results/Comments

"The question is: should I bet the flop, check-call, or check-raise. "

Bet the flop. You have middle set. you will not knock anyone out with a check raise. There are 2 low cards on board and your hand is vunerable.

"On the turn the bet is routine, I believe. "

True. But you are still vunerable. There are flush draws, low draws, and straight draws.

"On the river, I really considered checking. "

I would check-call. With 2 kings on board you do NOT have the nuts. This game is about drawing to the nuts. The other draws will fold and you don't lose much equity by check-calling.

-KeithO