Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2004, 11:28 PM

Default In response to Fairness request for marginal hands...

How about this one? I really play this hand pretty poorly. Essentially, we see why 99 is not so great in a raised pot. I could be screwed on the flop - but I have no real way to protect my hand - I can't really check/raise because both of my opponents would have already been in the hand for one bet - so I decide to bet in the hope that UTG+1 will raise and knock out the 3rd player - but then I check/call the turn - which I was pissed that I did at the time, and I'm still pissed about.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

River: (6.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

Final Pot: 6.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 6.75 BB, between Hero and UTG+1.</font>
Old 11-12-2004, 11:38 PM

Default Re: In response to Fairness request for marginal hands...

i'd bet and fold to a raise on the turn/river.

i'm not sure what line to take if he raises the flop and you are heads-up.. do you 3-bet and fold to a cap? stop-n-go and fold to a turn raise? or see if he takes the free turn?
Old 11-12-2004, 11:41 PM

Had he raised the flop - which would have been a common play for an UTG+1 raiser in 2/4, I would have most certainly called the raise and then bet into him on the turn (assuming a scare card didn't fall). For some reason I had convinced myself he had AQ before I saw the turn, so the queen really scared me...which was a bad play on my part.

The other way I like playing this hand would be to check/call the turn and then bet the river - this will often lead to his getting confused and just calling - but I wanted to see this showdown for as cheaply as I possibly could.

Alex
Old 11-13-2004, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I wanted to see this showdown for as cheaply as I possibly could.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think UTG+1's call on the flop is pretty weak, and I'd put him on overcards until he shows some aggression. So I like Spider's line: bet out the turn and fold to a raise.

And if he has AQ or somesuch and doesn't raise, then be happy that you're winning Slanksy bucks :-)

-- Scott