Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2004, 03:29 PM

Default Managing tilt

I have just got bluffed out of a huge pot where I would have won and now I am on big tilt. I hate poker and I know if i will play now I will be impatient. what should I do
Old 08-06-2004, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Managing tilt

Stop being such a immature little dumbass. Either learn some basic emotional maturity or leave the table.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stop being such a immature little dumbass. Either learn some basic emotional maturity or leave the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow.... I've been known to play "on-tilt" from time to time. When I first started playing I'd get pissed off at someone and become determined to beat them. The end result was usually more along the lines of me throwing what small amount of knowledge I had out the window and loosing a lot of money like a dumb jack ass.

Now days I try to sit out a few hands and cool down or find another table.

The immature little dumbass comment made me smile because it sounds like something my wife would tell me.....God I love that woman!
Old 08-06-2004, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow.... I've been known to play "on-tilt" from time to time. When I first started playing I'd get pissed off at someone and become determined to beat them. The end result was usually more along the lines of me throwing what small amount of knowledge I had out the window and loosing a lot of money like a dumb jack ass.

Now days I try to sit out a few hands and cool down or find another table.

The immature little dumbass comment made me smile because it sounds like something my wife would tell me.....God I love that woman!

[/ QUOTE ]

A private message from smartalecc5 makes me think he didn't appreciate my response (he wasn't rude in the PM). But, my response was competely serious.

People who come on here and ask questions like "I just took a bad beat and I'm really ticked off. What do I do?" seem to already know the answer to their question.

The answer is obviously not to play while your upset. In the short term, maybe that means you need sit out for a few orbits. In the long term, it means you need to simply be a mature person and not let this type of thing upset you.

The people who post these questions just need to be kicked in the ass.

The answer really is: Basic Emotional Maturity
Old 08-06-2004, 04:58 PM

This happened often when I first started playing (2 years). No matter how much I tried to control myself I was steaming inside.
I have turned it into a loss/reward system. When I get outworked to the point of spitting bullets I order a Bloody Mary. I am mad I lost the hand, but glad I got my drink. Sometimes, I am really glad it happened !!!! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2004, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have just got bluffed out of a huge pot where I would have won and now I am on big tilt. I hate poker and I know if i will play now I will be impatient. what should I do

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it this is hypothetical (not a post you are making while experiencing the situation). If you know you are on tilt the answer is simple, just get up and leave the game until you calm down. Take a walk, eat dinner, find another game, go home and go to bed, whatever. To play when you know you are playing bad is about the worst decision you can make in poker. If you don't have the control to walk away here, I don't like your chances of being a long time winner. In fact, if your reaction to making a laydown to what happens to be a bluff this time is to steam, that does not bode too well for you either.

If you are new to the game, your reaction is understandable and, if you have the disposition for the game, you will grow out of this type of reaction as you gain experience. Don't take that to mean that you should not work hard on this problem and that everything will work itself out on it's own.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:15 PM

TILT by it's very defination is an out of control situation and you can't manage something you can't control. So your post subject is an oxymoron. As for your attitude towards poker "you hate poker" well then quit. If you just feel that way cuz some guy just out played you in a given hand then get up walk around kick the cat then go back and play your A game. If you can't do that then quit for a while.

If you are gonna play this game get used to those things happening because they will they happen to all players the good the bad and most of all to the ugly.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:21 PM

Simple. Dont play for a while. Go sit under a tree. Watch your kids. Watch someone else's kids. Watch something funny on television. Think about anything but poker. Its easy to do really. Then....

Consider why you got bluffed?? Limit or No limit.
]
If it was no limit, consider wether the call itself was good poker, and ignore the results. Maybe your reading skills werent up to par for this particular game. Maybe you shouldnt be playing no limit. This is especially true if you cant handle getting bluffed out of one pot. Ease up there, brotha.

If it was limit, and you had a legitimate hand, you should never get bluffed out. read this

Oh, and dyansty is right. Getting bluffed out is part of poker. Maybe it is time to take up a game of perfect information, like air hockey.

peace

john nickle
Old 08-06-2004, 09:15 PM

In a vaccuum, Dynasty has the gist of the right answer, if maybe a touch on the harsh side.

There is an interesting question, which is not 'what do I do when I notice I'm on tilt' (the answer to which is either 'stop being on tilt, or leave the game'), but which is

'I notice I'm prone to going on tilt, what can I do to control this tendency / to avoid this problem?'

I've never really had an issue with this, but I think it definitely helps to play through some bad situations. For most people I think the more poker you play the less a given bad beat will faze you (since you've seen it several times before). Of course, the tendency to steam after a poor play (one you genuinely feel is a bad play, and one that possibly cost you an hour's winnings or more) is a bit harder to avoid. The only way to get around that is to 'play better'.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If it was limit, and you had a legitimate hand, you should never get bluffed out.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you never got bluffed off a hand in limit poker there's something wrong with your game.

Having said that, I really snapped off some doozies tonight, so point well taken!

/mc