Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2003, 01:01 AM

Default Inspired or lame (2 hands)

I read you “Big Guys” on this forum and think wow, how did you pull that off. So, imitation time.

$1/$2 online, which I haven't played that much.

Hand 1:

I’m on the Button with Ad 7s.

1UTG calls, folded to me and I raise (?), folded to 1UTG who calls.

FLOP: [ 3c 2s Th ]

It gets checked through. I'm thinking here.

TURN: [ 3c 2s Th ] [ 9s ]

1UTG bets, I raise, 1UTG calls.

RIVER: [ 3c 2s Th 9s ] [ Td ]

1UTG checks, I bet, 1UTG folds. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hand 2:

I’m in EMP with 8h Kh.

2UTG calls, I call (kinda loose?), SB completes, BB checks.

FLOP: [ 4s Th 3d ]

It gets checked through. OK, I’m still thinking.

TURN: [ 4s Th 3d ] [ 5h ]

2UTG bets, I call, SB calls, BB folds.

RIVER: [ 4s Th 3d 5h ] [ 8d ]

Checked to me, I bet, everyone folds. Huh – OK!

Any comments would be appreciated.

TIA,
pf
Old 05-14-2003, 02:02 AM

Default Re: Inspired or lame (2 hands)

I wouldn't make a habit of playing k8s in early or middle position.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:09 AM

Hey PF,

Ok I have to go to work so I'll make this quick.

1) I think you played this hand creatively and are pleased with yourself. We all make these plays but the key is to do it selectively. I would say this raise preflop is player dependant...you didn't describe this guy's style so it sounds random rather than well thought out. Is the guy limping every hand? Ok, I like the raise. Is he tight? I don't. As you played it, I would bet the flop. Represent a hand and hope he drops..you don't want to give him a chance to hit his hand. The way you played it may have me calling you with any pair bc I think ur getting fancy with a big ace. Also, when he calls the raise, I think I may be done betting bc (unless he turned a flush draw with no pair) you are getting called by any pair that called the turn raise (like I said, unless this is a player-dependant move where this guy makes lots of river folds). If he has spades, your ace will probably win. Also, no way I believe you have a 10 in this spot. I'm sure he doesn't either.

2)Unless the game is loose-passive and u expect lots of callers behind, fold preflop. Now that you got to the turn, I very well may raise depending on if I think I can win it right there. The bettor could easily fold to the raise and the pot is small (u don't really have odds to draw--though its closer if u think both an 8 and a king may be good). I still like the raise bc I think there is a good chance u win it right there.

Jeff
Old 05-14-2003, 09:57 AM

Hand 1:
Half the reason you raise hands like this is to steal on the flop when its rags. Bet the flop and win it there. When the turn comes and he bets, I have to think against most typical players he either has a mid-pocket pair or that 9 helped him. You raise, ok so he thinks that 9 helped you... maybe you have 99 or A9s. He calls the bet, so he must have outs. Blank on the river and he folds to a bet.

I really think this is a check behind situation. based on his actions he either picked up a flush draw or had QJ. I don't think any better hands will fold except AJs or A8s (which after I think about it, may actually be enough reason to make the bet) and if he called the turn, he will call again with any pair I think. As it turned out, it appears he was on a draw and you made him pay to see the river so good job.

Hand 2:
K9s is about as low as I go from non-LP. The call here is a bit loose unless you are generally getting 6+ to the flop unraised (which based on these posts, you aren't).

After the flop, I can't really find anything wrong. I may have bet the flop just out of principle, but checking is fine. I also may have been tempted to pop this one on the turn to clean up my K outs and maybe win it on the spot, but it really depends on what kind of players my opponents are and checking is certainly the routine play.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:12 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

based on these 2 hands, (limited info) im wondering if this table is having enough callers to see the flop with K8s from an EP. the table doesnt seem that loose to do this. it may be passive enough, but id want more callers for this.

b
Old 05-14-2003, 10:15 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default i agree

i think his play on hand 1 was ok. i like the preflop raise. if he's going to play it, this is the way to do it. but i agree to bet the flop instead of waiting for the turn.

good explanation.

b
Old 05-14-2003, 12:38 PM

I wouldn't make a habit of playing k8s in early or middle position.

I usually don’t. Every once in a while I’ll play a suited King to test myself. Can I play the hand properly if I flop a King and no flush draw – can I throw my King away?
Old 05-14-2003, 01:09 PM

Hi Jeffage,

I would say this raise preflop is player dependant...you didn't describe this guy's style so it sounds random rather than well thought out.

Yes, both hands were played “spur of the moment”.

Also, no way I believe you have a 10 in this spot. I'm sure he doesn't either.

OK. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] I actually was trying to “sell” the 10 or an overpair.

Unless the game is loose-passive and u expect lots of callers behind, fold preflop.

Agreed. I am playing a lot tighter these days, but every once in a while I just toss in some chips.

I didn’t act on the flop in either hand because I really was thinking about what I wanted to do. What I did wasn’t thought out, it was more “seat of the pants” on a street by street basis.

TY,
pf
Old 05-14-2003, 01:41 PM

Hand 1:
Half the reason you raise hands like this is to steal on the flop when its rags.

I’m not in the habit of trying to steal with “relative” garbage. So, this was a “let’s see” hand for me.

When he checked to me on the flop I “knew” he had nothing. When he bet into me on the turn I figured he was trying to steal from me! I raised to try and make him think I hit the 10 and was 1) waiting to see if an overcard came on the turn and/or 2) was trying to trap him on the more expensive street.

Maybe I should have checked behind on the river. I do remember praying that he would fold to my bet!

Hand 2:
K9s is about as low as I go from non-LP. The call here is a bit loose unless you are generally getting 6+ to the flop unraised (which based on these posts, you aren't).

The table was kind of tight. It was just a loose call, no excuses.

TC,
pf
Old 05-14-2003, 01:50 PM

based on these 2 hands, (limited info) im wondering if this table is having enough callers to see the flop with K8s from an EP. the table doesnt seem that loose to do this. it may be passive enough, but id want more callers for this.

It wasn't loose enough. Sometimes I revert to my loosie-goosie ways! [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

tc,
pf