Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 03:51 PM

Default I don\'t make many laydowns...

I'm usually bad at deciding when I can fold for one bet on the river...but I think I'm getting better at it. I would like to check up though.

80/160 at the bellagio

I had just been having a conversation with a 55ish yearold nice gentleman and we'd been talking about online poker vs live poker...and how the players in this game are a lot more honest and don't put you to the test as much as they do online, when in the middle of our conversation this hand came up:

He seems like a decent enough player. Winning 30/60 player probably, but doesn't have the killer instinct which leads him to be a little too passive.

I raise emp with AQo, and he cold calls right behind, all else folds, hu.

Flop J63 with 2 spades, I don't have a spade.

I bet, he raises I call.

Turn Ac

I bet he calls.

River Th

I bet he raises, I fold.

It was one of those hands where as soon as I threw my bet out there I wanted to take it back and check call...but it was too late.

Boring very standard laydown?
Old 06-27-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: I don\'t make many laydowns...

I can't fold this, which may explain a lot. I am assuming you gave him JTs?
Old 06-27-2005, 04:02 PM

I'd call to, but I'm sure you are beat. Online this will be a random bluff from some rediculous player enough to call it. Probably OK agasint this player......unless he just talked you into a fold since he is more 'honest' lol.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:03 PM

It's not clear cut. Some players in that game are tricker than they appear in the rearview mirror. But I think it's probably correct.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:58 PM

"Boring very standard laydown?"

you got it!
Old 06-27-2005, 05:12 PM

I have a hard time laying down any time I can't make sense of a guy's hand. What do you think he raised the flop with that a ten on the river would've helped? JTs?

Otherwise, you were already beat on the turn, and he played it well. Although, I'd be doubting he plays too well, since cold-calling pre-flop raises is generally a sign of weak play. Unless of course, he had AA. So we're back to the fact he played it well and you lost an extra bet. It happens. I'd have paid him off and wouldn't have felt too bad about it, because if nothing else, I learn a little more about how he plays.

Edit: KQs also is very likely. What I meant about pre-flop is that calling FIRST in after a pre-flop raiser with JTs, or KQs, or even AQs, and AJs, is weak.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt he plays too well, since cold-calling pre-flop raises is generally a sign of weak play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't cold-caling with AJs, KQs and JTs here fine? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2005, 05:21 PM

Another very probable hand from a poor player that I'd expect to see here is Ks,Ts. In fact, this is probably just as likely as JTs.

You're kidding about <font color="red">Isn't cold-caling with AJs, KQs and JTs here fine? </font>

I thought so. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a hard time laying down any time I can't make sense of a guy's hand. What do you think he raised the flop with that a ten on the river would've helped? JTs?

[/ QUOTE ]

What about KQs? That's one hand that he could be playing that way, especially if he had a backdoor flush draw on the flop.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had just been having a conversation with a 55ish yearold nice gentleman and we'd been talking about online poker vs live poker...and how the players in this game are a lot more honest and don't put you to the test as much as they do online,

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a horrible conversation to be having, isn't it? IMO, a conversation like that can have terrible meta-game consequences. Given that you were *just* having this conversation, I'm not so sure that the fold is standard.