Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2002, 09:58 PM

Default OK Scalf, The Whisk(e)y Poll

My favorites comprise both Scotch and Bourbon. My #2 whisky is my "everyday" whisky, the one I find fits more occasions and the one I drink the most of, where available.

1. Lagavulin
2. Maker's Mark
3. Booker's
4. Laphroaig
5. Macallan - older is better.

Also Likes: Aberlour, Cardhu, Gentleman Jack, Black Label, Knob Creek.

Will do if there's a limited selection: Wild Turkey, Jack, Famous Grouse, Red Label.

Most Overrateds:

1. Glenlivet
2. Chivas
3. Crown Royal

Best Value: Maker's Mark hands down. Competes w/ $50 whiskies at $20 or less a bottle. Clearly superior to all the Scotches in it's price range, i.e. Dewar's, Red Label, Famous Grouse, etc.... Better than most of the small batch bourbons that cost more IMO. I rank it over Booker's, but could see ranking Booker's higher, and expect a lot of people will. Either way, both are good, but Booker's costs more than double.

Absent from the list are any Canadian whiskies. Canadian seems blander and less complex than scotch or bourbon to me, so I just don't like it as well. I drink it when it is all that is available and enjoy it to varying degrees. A friend of mine always has a flask of R&R on the golf course, and that tastes OK straight out of the flask. But that is like ballpark hotdogs. You know it's bad, but it is good at the time. I am usually disappointed if stuck with some kind of Canadian. My mom always liked Canadian Club though. I liked it better when I couldn't buy my own. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Also absent are the Irish whiskies, although I kind of like them. I prefer Bushmills over Jameson, and prefer the deluxe versions of both to the regular- black bush and 1780 respectively. I drank more Irish whisky when I was younger. Like the Canadian whiskies, I think they are too light and bland once you start liking whisky more.

On the overrated list, I hate Glenlivet. One of my least favorite malts. I hate Chivas. It tastes like very cheap whiskey to me. It's a blend, so I always suspect it's half Vat 69 and half neutral grain spirits. Crown Royal isn't vile, but it is overrated. I would drink it before Chivas any day. I also don't like whisky to come in a goofy velvet bag. The brown one the liquor store gives you is much more socially appropriate if you must carry your whisky about.

Old 12-08-2002, 10:36 PM

Default Re: OK Scalf, The Whisk(e)y Poll

First of all, there's no "e" in the word, "Whisky." ;-)

Now for the list....Can't make a single list because my tastes vary...
Speyside whiskies
Glenlossie
Glen Elgin
Balvenie

North Highland Whiskies
Glenmorangie
Dalmore

West Highland Whiskies
Oban
Talisker

East Highland Whiskies
Knockdhu (before it sold out in the mid 90s)
Glencadam

Central Highland Whiskies
Usually too dry and oaky but if it's old enough AND sold
cask strength...
Tullibardine

Lowlands Whiskies
Rosebank

Islay Whiskies

Laga Vula
Bunnahabhain
Caol Ila

Irish Whiskies
Tullamore Dew (pre-1995) (Yes, it's a blend... I'm allowed
a few lapses in taste)
Bushmill's Single Malt
Connemara peated (Cask Strength... whisky of the gods)
Tyrconnell Single Malt (Cask Strength)

Bourbon Whiskies
Blanton's
W.L. Weller

The Canadian whiskies seem pretty boring and the American "Classic" whiskies, Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey and Black Velvet(yes, it's Canadian... sort of), are all too irregular in flavor. Who ever these distilleries have as their blenders have lost their sense of taste. They just don't "do it."

As always, YMMV, and I freely admit I had a great epiphany during my last hangover. I discovered I could either drink a little good booze and not want to die the next day or I could drink an equal dollar amount of swill and pray to be hit by a train come morning. Just can't take the time to drink bad liquor any more.

Old 12-10-2002, 02:34 AM

First off, I vote for The Baron to stock my bar any time, great list!

However, there is no "e" in whisky (as in Scotch Whisky), but other types of Whisk(e)y do use an e.

Don
Old 12-08-2002, 10:44 PM

HDPM,

Have you tried Ancient Ancient Age? AKA "triple A" I think it is the best deal out there for those lucky enough to live in areas where it is distributed. It's just as good as Makers and half the price ......That said, you can't go wrong with Maker's

I've tried bookers a few times but it puts my mouth on fire, that was a while back though.......

I agree with you about the Canadian and Irish stuff....

If I am in a place that has limited selection I would rather have a lesser bourbon than a lesser scotch....sort of like I'd rather have a cheap beer than cheap wine or champagne....

Here is my list....no specific order

1) Laphroig
2) Balvenie double wood (the first single malt I ever had and i instantly fell in love with it)
3) Labrott and Graham Woodford Reserve
4) Basil Hayden's.... I go in an out of liking this stuff...sometimes I seem to think it has no flavor but when I like it I drink it often
5) Ancient Ancient Age/ Maker's

Allan
Old 12-08-2002, 11:45 PM

Have not had AAA. I will make it a point to try it now. I have read a good review of it somewhere as well. I agree about Basil Hayden's - not enough flavor. It is one of the whiskies I think Maker's puts to shame. Bookers is very strong, straight out of the barrel at 125 proof. So it is intense. And that's why I don't drink it that often. It is good enough and complex enough that I usually drink it straight. You can clear your sinuses with a big sniff of it. Because they ran out of Makers (we drank'em dry) one place poured Booker's for us without asking first. I had been drinking Maker's on the rocks, so the bartender poured Booker's on the rocks. It was very smooth and good, but if they asked first I would not have gone for the ice. And that's one reason I like Maker's, I'll drink it neat when I'm in the mood, but not feel guilty drinking it on the rocks if I want a lighter drink.
I introduced a guy to Booker's. He usually drinks light whiskies with water. I poured him some in a glass and told him to sip it. He thought he was supposed to take big gulps. Well, he took some big gulps of air after that dose, hehehehe.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:15 AM

Nobody mentioned woodford reserve.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:46 AM

#3 on my list...a very fine bourbon
Old 12-09-2002, 02:23 AM

I believe whiskeys are supposed to be drank with a splash of water. the water opens them up. neat, they are very intense, but the flavors are a bit too tightly wound for many people's tastes. with a splash (a small one), their flavors separate a bit, the alcohol bite is less intense, and the taste is bigger and lasts longer.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:31 AM

Maybe that's how I need to try it
Old 12-09-2002, 10:50 AM

Yeah, that can be done. The problem is that you have to do it right. The quality of the water is also important as it can throw the flavor off. It is easy to water the whisky down too much. If you order a good whisky neat and have a handy bottle of room-temp Evian and can pour just a bit in there, you have a good drink.