Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Do you make any of these plays? (could be long reply)

For a 55 on Party:

#1:

5H 100/200 blinds, SB stack of 1200-1400 after completing, BB (you) of 2000.

Assuming folded around to SB who just completes, do you push with:

a) any 2
b) top 25% or so?

#2:

5H 100/200 blinds, next hand going up, you are in SB w/A7-A9 with a stack of 2000. BB has 1200-1500.

UTG player (who you know plays tons of tourneys and understands fold equity) pushes for 3xBB. Would you:

a) push to try to isolate all-in player and keep BB's dead money in
b) call
c) fold

Change this by making UTG raiser the button, would you still do the above or would it change?

Out of the two, which one is more dangerous and why?
Old 03-08-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Do you make any of these plays? (could be long reply)

1) b)

2) fold

2 is more dangerous because calling sucks

even if button did this, I fold

only time you call with marginal holdings are when you are being offered tremendous pot odds.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:49 PM

#1 Is there any known info on SB prior to this hand? Has he ever limped with a monster? More importantly, has he ever limped and folded to a reraise?

a) NO
b) MAYBE, see above. More importantly, this decision depends on the blinds. I would not do this on level 4. I might do it on level 5, and I would be even more compelled to do this on level 6. IMO, you only get to do this once per tourney.

#2 What is the stack of UTG?

a) I'm not isolating anyone with A9. I just want the chips without a showdown. This is a push or fold scenario. I don't think the BB is too much of a concern, but I am interested in what the other 2 stacks are as well.

In general you HAVE to give a move from UTG much more credit for a hand than the button. Does this help?

Also, since you know so much about villain, what does he know about you?

Finally, I was trying to decide which I think is more dangerous. I was leaning towards #2, but there is just too many other factors to consider than just two individual hands within the context of an entire tourney, and more importantly, the fact that you know each other.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:11 PM

1: Neither. Out of a and b I choose a.
2: fold
2a: fold. I'd like to know how many chips UTG has here before deciding which situation is more dangerous. FWIW, I'd imagine the first scenario is more dangerous. UTG is raising through a much bigger field and should have a better hand (since we're assuming he abides by a gap concept) while on the button he needs much less of a hand.

Yugoslav
Old 03-08-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
#1 Is there any known info on SB prior to this hand? Has he ever limped with a monster? More importantly, has he ever limped and folded to a reraise?

a) NO
b) MAYBE, see above. More importantly, this decision depends on the blinds. I would not do this on level 4. I might do it on level 5, and I would be even more compelled to do this on level 6. IMO, you only get to do this once per tourney.

#2 What is the stack of UTG?

a) I'm not isolating anyone with A9. I just want the chips without a showdown. This is a push or fold scenario. I don't think the BB is too much of a concern, but I am interested in what the other 2 stacks are as well.

In general you HAVE to give a move from UTG much more credit for a hand than the button. Does this help?

Also, since you know so much about villain, what does he know about you?

Finally, I was trying to decide which I think is more dangerous. I was leaning towards #2, but there is just too many other factors to consider than just two individual hands within the context of an entire tourney, and more importantly, the fact that you know each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the reason I asked if because I've noticed some 2+2'ers doing the 1st play and might add it to my arsenal soon. It intriqued me a couple of times when they showed pure junk (skip [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] !) for 15xBB.

The second item has caused me to gain tons of chips late as tight players at the end are trying to just pick up the blinds with most anything since most of their stack will be killed in the next 2 hands. Didn't Gigabet post something about this before about pushing for all your chips w/any two sometimes UTG when you're about to lose FE? I've been known to be the pusher in these situations too on maybe say top 25% of hands UTG. This might be -EV for all I know but it's been working sometimes with a real short stack UTG 3xBB-5xBB or so from people giving me credit for a monster (I'm guessing).

To answer your questions:
#1 Assume unknown player who plays pretty straight-forward raising most hands to pick up the blinds without a showdown. If they limped w/AA/KK or so then it happens.

#2 Stack of UTG is 3xBB so 600. If blinds went up next hand, he'd have half his stack in the BB.

As far as giving them more credit from UTG as the button, I was inclined to think so before but as I'm playing more and more I've seen lots of crazy raises from UTG players who are about to be blinded out.

For what you know about UTG raiser, assume you've seen him around before and that he multi-tables. If you have Poker Prophecy (I may seem like a damn shill to this now but it's helped me greatly so I apologize), you'd notice that he's played a few hundreds games which probably puts him at top 10% of active players on the SNG's in the past month or so and so understand SNG strategy well enough.