Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2004, 06:23 PM

Default History of poker on Discovery

On discovery tonight at 8pm then again at midnight and i think a couple of repeats throughout the week is "history of poker." Probably an interesting watch. Just a heads up.

regards,
bonanz

History of Poker
60 mins.

A look at the card game in the U.S., beginning with the early 19th century. Included: a demonstration of the game by poker legend Doyle Brunson.

Release Year: 2004
Old 05-09-2004, 06:33 PM

Default Re: History of poker on Discovery

Hi bananz:

David and I were interviewed extensively for the show. So we'll see if we made it.

Best wishes,

Mason
Old 05-09-2004, 07:00 PM

It's on the History Channel, not Discovery Channel.

Kevin...
Old 05-09-2004, 07:34 PM

you are right my mistake, its on the history chan sorry bout that
Old 05-09-2004, 11:16 PM

Default You made it!

Not a ton of screen time but at least both of you were on. That was great when D Sklansky said that anyone with $100,000 would be more than welcome to sit down in the high stakes cash game. That was an incredible lineup too. I really enjoyed the show and enjoyed seeing all of those players at one table.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:20 PM

Default Curious tidbit mentioned about Jennifer Harmon...

In the program, it was stated that Jennifer Harmon began playing poker at the age of twenty-one. Yet I remember seeing a blurb on her-can't remember if it was from the WPT or WSOP-in which she said that when she was a preteen her father would let her sit in for him during his home games so that she could win back some of the money he had lost.

I wonder where the truth lies...
Old 05-09-2004, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Curious tidbit mentioned about Jennifer Harmon...

My guess is that she started playing professionally at 21. I think I remember that WPT episode also. If I remember correctly she was the one telling the story, and I would take her word.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Curious tidbit mentioned about Jennifer Harmon...

[ QUOTE ]
My guess is that she started playing professionally at 21.

[/ QUOTE ]
TxTiger,

I think you are right. She has told this same story many times.

Below is a link to an old NPR segment on the WSOP where she is briefly profiled. Something else odd: for some reason, she always seems to manage to use the word "robot" in her interviews, as in "I'm not a robot" or something like that. Sometimes I wonder if she really enjoys playing that much.

Note: Scroll down the page to the show called "Meet the Pros" and click on the RealPlayer icon to listen. The WSOP segment is the second one so you may want to fast forward through the first one, which is about basketball. Of course, you need RealPlayer to listen. A little trouble to get to but worth it. Very entertaining.

This American Life: Meet the Pros
Old 05-10-2004, 01:31 AM

Default Re: You made it!

Hi Tiger:

I had a fairly lengthy interview with them and several phone conversations, but I imagine that was the case with others who didn't make the show. I did notice a couple of things they mentioned which I did tell them such as the word "stud" coming from the horses used to pull the canyons in the Civil war, and the fact that people like Wild Bill Hitchok and Wyatt Earp were essentially poker players who had to be good with a gun and who worked as lawmen when they were low on money.

I also told them about the most important hand of poker ever played and was disappointed that this anecdote was not used.

All-in-all, it was an enjoyable hour and I'm glad to have played a small role.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 05-10-2004, 01:33 AM

Default Re: You made it!

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Tiger:

I had a fairly lengthy interview with them and several phone conversations, but I imagine that was the case with others who didn't make the show. I did notice a couple of things they mentioned which I did tell them such as the word "stud" coming from the horses used to pull the canyons in the Civil war, and the fact that people like Wild Bill Hitchok and Wyatt Earp were essentially poker players who had to be good with a gun and who worked as lawmen when they were low on money.

I also told them about the most important hand of poker ever played and was disappointed that this anecdote was not used.

All-in-all, it was an enjoyable hour and I'm glad to have played a small role.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to share that one with us (the anecdote)?