Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2003, 02:40 AM

Default Worst call of all time

2nd hand in $25 Party NL

I get AKs in small blind

SIX!!! limpers to me (Im new to micro NL so I still think its funny)

I raise to $5. One LP caller. Pot just shy of $13.
Caller only has $6 left

Flop: Ac Jd 9h

I push in. Player thinks and thinks and finally calls.

His cards? 7s6s

No he didnt catch a miracle ;-)
Old 10-01-2003, 03:10 AM

Default Seen worse

Fish has about $450 which seems to be his entire bankroll (until his next paycheck, I suppose; he's a dealer at some tiny cardroom), I have him covered. 10-handed NL, 1-2-2 blinds, 5 to open. Very loose game which plays MUCH bigger than the blinds imply. Pot has been killed by LP, making it 10 to go. It goes: limp limp limp ... limp back to me in the SB with KK. I make it $100 straight. First limper calls, everyone folds. Flop comes down something like 9-6-4 rainbow. I move him in; he instantly calls with A-3 offsuit.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Worst call of all time

I push in. Player thinks and thinks and finally calls.

I don't know what he was doing, but I am quite sure that "thinking" isn't it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Inkstain, the call you mention certainly isn't worse. That player at least had a one-card out. Mike's caller needed to hit in order to beat most bluffs!

I have my own, which I think is a worse call than inkstain's, but not quite as bad as Mike's. Playing PLO, I have QQJ9d on the button and raise preflop. The flop is 78T, with two hearts (which I don't have), so I bet the max. Turn is a Q, so my straight is no longer the nuts, but I now have top set so I have outs if I am behind, and I bet the pot again.

Other player calls all in with 45TJ, and no flush draw, just a middle pair and a gutshot. He has 3 outs to split, and none to win. Of course, the 9 on the river (which scared me at first because it made the flush possible) gives him his money back.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:53 PM

The flop is 78T, with two hearts (which I don't have), so I bet the max. Turn is a Q, so my straight is no longer the nuts

Nitpick: yes it is.

Guy.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:29 PM

The worst call of all time has happened many times. I've seen it at least 3 times myself.

Somebody has a small pocket pair. They bet, raise, or just call all the way as the board comes something like Q99-7-Q. All is not terrible, but when they call the river bet with their 44 in the pocket, and it takes them a while to figure out they're playing the board, you know there's a problem.

My personal worst call experience was in the Tuesday night NLH tourney. I'm chip leader with about T10,000. Blinds are 300-600 with an ante. Second chip leader has about T8,000, and raises by big blind from the button as the first one to come in. I reraise all-in with 55, figuring he has to fold almost anything, because we're on the bubble.

He calls.

I say words like "You must have me beat.", and table my 55. he tables 64o. Two people at least ask him why he called my raise. He states that he put me on a rebluff. He seems obvlivious when they comment on how his hand can't even beat a bluff.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

P.S. - No bad beat story. He did flop a 4, but nothing else, and I became massive chip leader and went on to win. Funny aside. Another regular asks me "How do you do that?" I say, "Do what?" He says "Get them to just GIVE you their chips like that. They never do that for me."
Old 10-01-2003, 02:53 PM

Hmmm. I know that it was no longer the nuts. I must have held QQJ8 and the flop was 79T. Let's just consider it a typo and move on. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-01-2003, 03:01 PM

Well, you did remind me of a worse call, though, sadly, I wasn't the one betting.

Limit 7-stud. Aggressive player has an A-high board, and has never slowed down betting and raising on every street. One woman calls him the whole way. When she calls the river bet, he shrugs and says that he missed, showing all of his ace-high nothing.

She says "I KNEW you were bluffing," as she tables her own ace-high nothing and LOSES!!! The funny thing is, the kicker that won it for the original bettor was his original door card! She called the river when he had her beat on board!
Old 10-02-2003, 10:10 AM

This is my favorite: 7 stud hand
Old 10-04-2003, 02:59 AM

I think all the times that someone has called a bet on seventh street in stud when they couldn't beat the bettor's board are tied for the worst calls ever

Maybe doing so when the bettor is showing quads is the absolute worst [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2003, 04:11 AM

Default Worst FOLD of all time

Hey all,

I just got home from a NLHE tournament and saw this thread sitting at the top. So, it's a sign that I was meant to post tonight's candidate for worst FOLD of all time...

21 people to start, now we're 8 handed-ish; top 5 finish in the money. Blinds are 2/4. Semi-clueless (but relatively tight) girl limps, worst-player-I've-ever-seen limps, so do some other people. The flop is something like A96 with two diamonds. Checked to WPIES (who has a big stack), he bets $20, only the girl calls. Next card is a 7. Girl checks, WPIES bets $50, girl thinks for a bit, calls and raises her last $3. WPIES auto-mucks (FTR, he was getting around 55-1 on his call...).

I got second in the tournament; worst-player-I've-ever-seen won the whole thing by a landslide... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

ML4L

PS A nagging part of me feels like, depending on his hand, this might not have been that bad of a fold. I think it just stuck in my mind because I REALLY wanted him to bust the girl out on that hand... Any thoughts about what to do when pure bluffs go terribly wrong?