Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 12:49 AM

Default TT hand vs. Tricky LAG, paired board.

Villain in this hand is a tricky, aggressive player. He is a thinking player who makes obvious adjustments when faced with different styles of play but does not necessarily play optimally. Varies between semi-reasonable and major LAG, especially when losing. At this point he was somewhere in between.

I think there are some mistakes in this hand for sure, wondering what your line is here. I read his flop check-raise as being a marginal made hand intended to push me off overcards. Shold I have re-raised?

Basically I was reading weakness in most of these plays but the board pairing made me think he might be laying a trap. I was looking for a relatively easy path to showdown.

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (8 handed) converter

SB ($21.72)
BB ($11.15)
UTG ($6.20)
UTG+1 ($23.34)
MP1 ($3.55)
Hero ($12.15)
CO ($9.95)
Button ($6.55)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.05.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.4</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls $0.30.

Flop: ($0.85) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.7</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $2</font>, Hero calls $1.30.

Turn: ($4.85) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.2</font>, BB calls $1.20.

River: ($7.25) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.5</font>, Hero calls $0.50.

Final Pot: $8.25
Old 03-02-2005, 01:06 AM

Default Re: TT hand vs. Tricky LAG, paired board.

I don't understand turn bet.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:14 AM

Against a pre-flop raise, you are more likely to be facing a made str8 on the flop than someone who made trips on the turn (if anything at all).
Old 03-02-2005, 01:23 AM

So you think 68 is more likely than 99, JJ, A7, A5, etc? I cannot agree. Bayesian analysis aside, this c/r was not his MO with a made straight. He knows I'm aggressive and will let me get some more chips in, hoping to get the money in later.

NT
Old 03-02-2005, 01:27 AM

Turn bet was weak, I know. I'm just converting from limit and it shows in my bet sizes sometimes, particularly when I'm trying to get to the river. Based on game texture at the time I didn't feel this would be read as super-weak and invite a c/r all-in with a hand I beat, game was very passive. Against better opponents it would get eaten alive, definitely.

I felt checking behind on the turn would allow him to bluff a lot on the river, and I can't call an all-in. I was basically trying to slow him down. This play is working at the micro-NL games but I know it won't in the future.

In retrospect, is a 1/2 pot turn bet / river check ok? How do you play this?

Thanks
NT
Old 03-02-2005, 01:34 AM

I meant 68 is more likely than any hand worth calling a pre-flop raise with that includes a 5 (since a 5 is on the board) - you mentioned the 5 on the turn slowed you down.

[ QUOTE ]
but the board pairing made me think he might be laying a trap

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is calling pre-flop raises with A5 OOP, please send me his ID so I can add him to my buddy list.

Anyway, I like your line, except maybe a bigger bet on the turn if you think he is drawing. If not, then check it.

Sorry to be such a nit. I was just responding to the fact that the 5 on turn seemed to scare you.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
meant 68 is more likely than any hand worth calling a pre-flop raise with that includes a 5 (since a 5 is on the board) - you mentioned the 5 on the turn slowed you down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, hard to say.

Let me clarify my thought process a little, I can see how you ended up looking at it this way.

On the flop I'm thinking yeah, coordinated, draw heavy, and this guy is a LAG, his c/r doesn't necessarily mean I'm beat or drawing near dead, but it does mean he's going to get frisky.

Turn, I think a two-pair hand with a 5 is more likely than a made straight here. I could see him pulling that flop c/r with 45, maybe 75, etc. But I am not overly convinced the five itself hit him, just that it could have, plus it may encourage him to push harder with something like top pair or a draw, again, hoping to push me off a hand.

The four pairing on the river is what really made me wuss out, my gut was that he had TPGK or a straight draw and I was good, but again, I remembered the saying, "If an all-in will make you sick, don't bet/raise," or something like that. So I just called on the river even though I sensed weakness.

Anyway, this is a lot of explanation and rationalizing for basically a poor, weak-tight play. He had A7, my read was good and so was my hand.

NT