Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2002, 04:37 PM

Default Pokerstars headsup NL tourney decision

We are down to 2 in a NL tourney. There are roughly 162k in chips. When we got down to 2 players I had 102k but he has taken the lead 92k to 70k. He has done this primarily by re-raising all-in 2 or 3 times.

The blinds have just jumped to 2k-4k. I am in the SB and raise to 20k with Ac2c. This time he only calls.

Flop is KcQd6s.

We both check.

Turn is Tc.

I check and he bets 28k. I have nut-flush draw, 1 overcard and a gutshot straight draw.

1) Fold, call or raise all-in?

2) If instead of betting 28k, he bet enough to put me all-in, fold, call or raise all-in?

Ken Poklitar

ohKanada@hotmail.com
Old 05-06-2002, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Pokerstars headsup NL tourney decision

One minor error in the post is on the flop/turn he was the initial bettor.

I decided to call. I felt if a brick hit the river I could fold and still be left with a fighting although tough chance.

River was the beautiful Jd giving me a straight.

He checked, I bet all-in and he called. He showed Kh5h.

Ken Poklitar

ohKanada@hotmail.com
Old 05-06-2002, 10:04 PM

Yuck. Preflop you put up 18K to win 6K. I don't like that math. Make it 10K or 12K to go most of the time, or pick one number and do it every time. But don't put up 3x what you can win, not as a regular bet. I mean, if he reraises all-in preflop here, you probably should fold, and you now have lost 6-8K more than you needed to lose.

On the flop, bet. You've got to hope he either missed completely and will give up (and if he missed and doesn't give up, you're probably in the lead), or that he caught weak and will give up (such as pocket 5s or the like). When he bets the turn into you after you check the flop, there really won't be any good way to know if he's bluffing or not, and you will rarely be getting pot odds for any draw you may have.

I advocate more aggression on your part, basically.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 05-07-2002, 12:12 PM

Thanks for the comments Greg.

I agree that my initial raise was too large. I looked back at the hand histories and once we got headsup my initial raise varied from 3x to 5x. Anything higher then 3x does seem silly since with him re-raising all-in a few times I am giving up a lot if he decides to go all-in and I am unable to defend.

I do need to work on my aggression when headsup.

Thanks again,

Ken Poklitar

ohKanada@hotmail.com