Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2002, 09:54 PM

Default OM8 Evolution - Juicy Games

Some thoughts on low limit OM8 (Juicy Games) in the Los Angeles CA area:

About 1987 or so the low limit OM8 games were easier to beat compared to 2002 games. There were many cases of players winning up to $500 to $1000 and more in a $2-4 game; winning a $1000 in a $4-8 game was not uncommon. Wins like this don't seem to happen this often anymore; the reason is: back in 1987 there were lots of rabbits and not so many foxes. In 1987 it was not uncommon for everybody to see the flop. OM8 players in the LA CA area are a little better today than they were 15 yrs ago. Now(today): One bonus for foxes is the weekend evening players -- many of them are still pretty weak and provide soft games for the early birds who can get a seat.

Back in 1986 or 1987, I attended the big Fall computer show in Las Vegas, at that time the Hilton had two ten-handed $3-6 OM8 games. These games were not juicy when I was there. Most of the players were neatly dressed guys "25 to 40 yrs old," they knew how each other played, and only about four players on average saw the flop (tough games to beat -- mostly foxes).

(maybe repeating myself) About a really juicy Om8 game about 1990 in the LA CA area. The players in a $4-8 OM8 games had mutually agreed to post extra blinds but maintaining the $4 and $8 limit. Blinds of $2, $4, $6, and $8 were posted by mutual agreement. It cost $8 to call and $12 to initially raise. The game went on for three straight days until the Commerce management stopped the action. Good players were having a field day in this game because they knew when to duck with weak starting pocket cards. Poor players would usually always go to the river because of the relatively large pots for a $4-8 game. They were hugh pots.