Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 01:06 PM

Default I am scared of AQ now

3 of my recent frustrating losses have come with me holding AQ. I will post them here and hope to get some constructive input.

Hand 1 3/6 live 9 person table
I hold A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] I raise from EP and get a few callers

Flop
K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet and get raised, All fold to me, I 3-bet and he 4-bets. I 5-bet (no cap HU)and get called.

Turn 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet, he raises, back and forth a few times.

River
8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet (Maybe he is scared I have the flush!), he raises, I call and he has the AQ of [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]'s and I lose

Lesson learned - Just cause you have the same cards don't mean a chop. Slow down if a flush is possible and You don't have it.

Hand 2. 2/4 live 9 person table (kill pot).

I have A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and raise in UTG+1. All fold to the CO who is the Kill. He calls,

Flop
K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet, he raises (he is a solid player), I fold, he shows me 77.

lesson learned? NOT SURE YET!

__________________________________________________ ____

The next hand is the very next hand

Hand 3. 2/4 live 9 person table (kill pot).
I get A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG and Raise. UTG+1 calls and all fold.

Flop
Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I bet and UTG+1 raises, I 3-bet and He 4-bets, I call

Turn
2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I Bet (?!?!?!??) He raises, I call

Turn
8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, He bets, I call

He turns over Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]for 2 pair.

Lesson learned:
1) Don't tilt
2) Slow Down?
Old 09-12-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: I am scared of AQ now

i had the straight happen to me before too, where the other guy has same cards and flushes.

Question i have is how many times should you raise and reraise on the turn there? any comments?

you have the nuts, in no limit you have no trouble going all in, so how long should you raise and reraise?

also, great call with Q4 offsuit to a raise - I like your play there.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:27 PM

First hand was played well. You had the nuts on the flop (as did your opponent) and you slowed down once the flush hit the river. Nothing you can do there. As they say: that's poker.

Second hand: Playing many live 3/6 and 4/8 limit games with kills, I have observed that many players play a lot looser (read: worse) when the kill is on. However, your opponent played you well. Your preflop raise was good, and he was right to call with 7-7 because (1) he was already halfway in; and (2) he had position on you. With the flop of K-K-J rainbow, you bet right out. Most low-limit live players who flopped trip-Kings would not lead out here, but would try to set a trap. By betting, you kinda told your opponent that you didn't have trips. He raised, trying to find out if this presumption was indeed true, and you folded, confirming that his 7-7 was good.

Third hand, not much you can do. Like I said, players in kill pots play like idiots. Only thing you can do there is try not to tilt and take solice in knowing that there's a player at your table willing to throw away 2 kill-size bets with Q-4 offsuit.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First hand was played well. You had the nuts on the flop (as did your opponent) and you slowed down once the flush hit the river. Nothing you can do there. As they say: that's poker.

Second hand: Playing many live 3/6 and 4/8 limit games with kills, I have observed that many players play a lot looser (read: worse) when the kill is on. However, your opponent played you well. Your preflop raise was good, and he was right to call with 7-7 because (1) he was already halfway in; and (2) he had position on you. With the flop of K-K-J rainbow, you bet right out. Most low-limit live players who flopped trip-Kings would not lead out here, but would try to set a trap. By betting, you kinda told your opponent that you didn't have trips. He raised, trying to find out if this presumption was indeed true, and you folded, confirming that his 7-7 was good.
Third hand, not much you can do. Like I said, players in kill pots play like idiots. Only thing you can do there is try not to tilt and take solice in knowing that there's a player at your table willing to throw away 2 kill-size bets with Q-4 offsuit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice analysis. Thank You. I was thinking about how to incoporate the play of the villian into my game and may have found a huge leak. To make this play actually work, I would need.

1) To be Heads-up.
2) Against someone with a wider range of EP raising hands.
3) Against someone who COULD fold.
4) Against someone I have a read on!

LOL, I wonder what read I gave off! I bet I scowled at that board! I knew my face would never make me money but now it is costing me cash!

Any other advice?

LLLoser
Old 09-12-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL, I wonder what read I gave off! I bet I scowled at that board! I knew my face would never make me money but now it is costing me cash!

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't need a tell to make the play villian made. I do (and see) this all the time online. Villian was defining his hand on the cheap street. If you 3-bet (or even just call) he knows he's beat for the cost of only 1BB, as opposed to 2.5BB for calling you down.

The first 3 points are true, especially #2. Against a tight player who's only raising big pairs and big aces, the only hands you're getting to fold are AQ, AJ, and maybe JJ and QQ (but doubtful on the pairs) and simply folding 77 to a bet is the best play.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't need a tell to make the play villian made. I do (and see) this all the time online. Villian was defining his hand on the cheap street. If you 3-bet (or even just call) he knows he's beat for the cost of only 1BB, as opposed to 2.5BB for calling you down.

The first 3 points are true, especially #2. Against a tight player who's only raising big pairs and big aces, the only hands you're getting to fold are AQ, AJ, and maybe JJ and QQ (but doubtful on the pairs) and simply folding 77 to a bet is the best play.

[/ QUOTE ]

So Play this out for me.

If I am villain with 77 I:

1) fold to a reraise?

If I am called and a rag falls on the turn

2) Do what if bet into?

3) Do what if checked into?
Old 09-13-2005, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I am villain with 77 I:

1) fold to a reraise?

If I am called and a rag falls on the turn

2) Do what if bet into?

3) Do what if checked into?

[/ QUOTE ]
1) Yes. Or call a sb and fold on the turn if you're worried about your image.
2) Fold.
3) w/ 77 on this board, a call on the flop probably means you're beat so I'd check through the turn. With many flops, though, you can bet the turn and take a free showdown which still saves you a sb over the call down line.

As I said earlier, folding is a often the best option in such a small pot, especially against a tight player. But if you think you're ahead often to play the hand then a raise on the flop gives you the best chance of winning the hand and at the same time minimizes the cost to get to showdown if you're behind.