Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2003, 01:07 PM

Default Chopping - Sorry, Stupid Question

Given the rake effect - should you always chop? I did a search but I didn't find any posts.

I never chop because I have always liked to play short-handed and I think I can do quite well against many players as they don't play heads-up agressively enough.

However, I was blind v blind versus a good player and he said we should chop because the effective rake is so much higher and it runs around 10% in his estimation at the 15/30 level we were playing.

Is he correct?

Note: I said no. He raised out of the small blind. I came over the top of him. He did the same back. He lead the flop and I threw my rags. He showed slightly better rags. Maybe I wished I chopped - lol.

Old 05-16-2003, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Chopping - Sorry, Stupid Question

If the SB was $0 he should NEVER chop since he can do betting if he played only premium hands. Likewise if the SB was the same as the BB he should ALWAYS chop since he has bad position througout the hand.

My uneducated guess is that, given equally skilled players, the appropriate "chop" ratio would be about 3/5 of the BB.

Anyway, the rake is pretty substancial so I'd always chop against a good player. Don't chop against the predictable terrible players. Chopping also "keeps the peace" at the table which is to your advantage (unless you are the kind of person that thrives in angry adversity).

- Louie
Old 05-22-2003, 08:40 AM

personal preference, I always chop...ever if I have AA. Just a principal I follow. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2003, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Chopping - Sorry, VERY Stupid Question

Whats chopping? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2003, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Chopping - Sorry, VERY Stupid Question

Chopping is when it is folded to the SB. The SB and BB takes their bets back. Most cardrooms have a no flop, no drop policy, so no rake/jackpot is taken.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:06 PM

I too always chop. But I always show my AA/KK, or other big pair when I'm chopping it as well.

I think chopping and showing you're being gracious is only a positive act for the atmosphere of the game.

And if someone remembers me being a "nice guy", how can that hurt me at the table? I think it can only help.

-Scott
Old 05-22-2003, 07:30 PM

I dont understand....why would you ever chop, ESPECIALLY with an AA? Thats just giving up on a very good payoff oppurtunity, especially heads up. The goal is to make money, not be nice. Who cares if its just the big blind and the small blind. Plus, how does the big blind, fold to the small blind? Wouldn't the small blind fold, or call and the big blind check? Please clarify.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:29 PM

both blinds take their bets back. No one really "folds." Also, it should be determined if you will chop or not before the hand is dealt. Really shitty to selectively chop shitty hands and to play out good hands.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:32 AM

The logic is simple. With just the two blinds left, the rake becomes more significant. As one guy said at Foxwoods. "if you call me and one of us folds on the flop, only the Indians make money." Unless the other blind folds preflop, the pot is reduced drastically by the first drop.

What's interesting is that Foxwoods has an official no-chopping policy, but it is never enforced.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:36 AM

Default Another thing

It's not necessarily about being a nice guy. Nobody will hold it against you if you say "I never chop." That's OK. Look at your cards before you decide whether you chop and you *will* be labeled a jerk.