Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 03:01 PM

Default 10-20 Party intersting AK line

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
CO folds, MP folds, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (6 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB

What do you think about this line? I'm sure it will be contraversial. Also what do you put my opponent on?
Old 01-18-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: 10-20 Party intersting AK line

I don't see the point of the stop+go on the turn. If he raises again you have to pay 2 bets. Then what, check/fold the river?

I also hate the river bet, there is 0% chance he is folding any hand that beats you.

I bet the flop, call the raise, check/call the turn, then hope the river goes check/check. Depending on my read i may call or fold the river.

-DrG
Old 01-18-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see the point of the stop+go on the turn. If he raises again you have to pay 2 bets. Then what, check/fold the river?

I also hate the river bet, there is 0% chance he is folding any hand that beats you.

I bet the flop, call the raise, check/call the turn, then hope the river goes check/check. Depending on my read i may call or fold the river.

-DrG

[/ QUOTE ]

Well two things to adress here. Your logic would be correct exept the tpical 10-20 player at party will make a stone cold steal at least 20% of the time on a scary, co-ordinated board. We're not talking about a rock garden here, he doesn't have to even have a hand. I also now have 13 outs to the nuts and an Ace or King quite possibly good. Your logic about the river is probably correct, although it's a not true to say i have no folding equity, i just have very little. I probably should have checked. I was trying to get a PP less the 99 with a diamond to fold after missing their flush. Given the way the hand was played by me, you saying you call this river with 22, 33, 44, 66, 77, or 88? It's fine if you do, i'm just curious.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:56 PM

Given the way the hand was played by me, you saying you call this river with 22, 33, 44, 66, 77, or 88?

Your opponent raised a flop of QJ9 and called the turn stop and go. If he's the type of player who could have one of those hands do you really think he's the type to fold to a river blank?

Lost Wages
Old 01-18-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given the way the hand was played by me, you saying you call this river with 22, 33, 44, 66, 77, or 88?

Your opponent raised a flop of QJ9 and called the turn stop and go. If he's the type of player who could have one of those hands do you really think he's the type to fold to a river blank?

Lost Wages

[/ QUOTE ]
This point is valid, but it's dumb to take a exerpt for my post when you know that i was suggesting he bluffed the flop and picked up a diamond draw on the turn. When the river doesn't hit it, i once again might have folding equity. Like i said checking the river was probably best, but you forumalted which did not address my idea that my opponent was hoping for a diamond. Additionally, note that he called the turn. He likes his hand enough to raise the the flop but the turn 5 scared his hand so that he didn't to raise me again with top pair? It smelled weak to me...
Old 01-18-2005, 04:16 PM

but you forumalted which did not address my idea that my opponent was hoping for a diamond.

I knew that you meant his pair contained a diamond but if he is capable of having 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] he is calling the river. I think that you are really reaching here to justify your line. The pot is fairly small and the stars have to line-up for you to be correct. He has to; 1) be bluffing the flop 2) pick-up a diamond draw on the turn and 3) fold a better hand on the river.

He likes his hand enough to raise the the flop but the turn 5 scared his hand so that he didn't to raise me again with top pair? It smelled weak to me...

More likely your stop and go scared him. Smells like call-down mode to me.

Lost Wages
Old 01-18-2005, 04:24 PM

I've got to put him on some kind of a hand as he's calling down, including the river. All that he would call you down with at the river that you realistically beat is ace 10 or something and he's calling with ace high. I've got to think he has a small pocket pair and was hoping you missed that flop, or he caught a piece of that flop. It looks like someone who went into call down mode with his top pair on the flop to me. Or you raise so infrequently that he put you on AK and is calling with a small pair.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:34 PM

I think the easiest and most profitable way to play this after you get raised on the flop is to go into "f**k you i'm calling you down" mode. He will continue bluffing if he is bluffing, and you won't have to pay extra if you're raised if you bet.

-DrG
Old 01-18-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but you forumalted which did not address my idea that my opponent was hoping for a diamond.

I knew that you meant his pair contained a diamond but if he is capable of having 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] he is calling the river. I think that you are really reaching here to justify your line. The pot is fairly small and the stars have to line-up for you to be correct. He has to; 1) be bluffing the flop 2) pick-up a diamond draw on the turn and 3) fold a better hand on the river.

He likes his hand enough to raise the the flop but the turn 5 scared his hand so that he didn't to raise me again with top pair? It smelled weak to me...

More likely your stop and go scared him. Smells like call-down mode to me.

Lost Wages

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this arguemnt is pretty sound. In retrospect i liked the turn stop and go to get him off a small PP or 9, but the river bet was poor and I have to reach too much to justify it.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:10 PM

agreed, what did he have, I think he had a queen.