Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Anyone taking students?

Here's the situation. My mother-in-law needs an extra income. She is a single mother and a good person. She needs two jobs but can't be away from her youngest daughter all day. Although I personally am having some nice success right now, I do not feel I am far along enough in my SNG education to be her teacher. I would like to know if anyone would like to take her on as a student. If you require a fee for your lesson I still want to hear from you however I am really hoping for someone who will do this pro bono. (the pokergods will be pleased). Thanks for your time.

SAM
Old 07-18-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Anyone taking students?

This is just my opinion, but I can't think of a worse situation to be in when learning to play poker for more income. I'm not even 20 yet, and though I love poker, it's often a lot to handle. I think the stress of playing poker, combined with needing to provide for a child as a single parent, is just really something she doesn't need in her life. Just seems like a really, really bad idea to me.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:37 PM

This is probably a bad idea. There are plenty of jobs with flexible hours that don't involve the high stress and variance of gambling for a living.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:37 PM

Yeah, I'm with pergesu on this one. Poker's fine for some extra money or ever just as a hobby, but relying on it as a primary part of your income to support a child--especially when learning--seems like a terrible idea.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:41 PM

If you can't afford to lose, then you can't risk playing.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:40 PM

It's poosible I should elaborate. She has an income albeit a small one. And a Job. However she needs to make more. I will supply her with a bankroll for starting out say $330 for the 10+1 game and let her give it a go. I'm not suggesting that she go head 1st into this as an income source but simply explore this option through a very knowledgable teacher. If grocery money were on the line I agree this would be bad but it should be ok in that regard

SAM
Old 07-18-2005, 08:51 PM

Two Thoughts:

1.) This is a really bad idea; forget about it
2.) Your M-i-L is prolly 45 - 50...I'll have some free time when I'm in Vegas for the "STTF-HUC"; maybe we could work something out [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2005, 08:57 PM

You left out a lot of important info, like:

1. Whose idea is this?

2. What is her poker experience?

3. Does she enjoy playing games in general, and poker in general?

4. Would she enjoy and be challenged by learning a new skill involving a lot of reading, studying, and thinking?

5. Does she have the time, and especially patience, to put in a lot of upfront effort before seeing results? (Like 20 hours of unpaid work a week for many weeks to become even average.)

You don't need to answer those here, just to yourself.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:10 PM

I have tried to teach 5 people, all reasonably intellegent. 3 stuck with it for more than a couple months, only one makes money, and he still makes more doing other things.

I used to think this was something anybody with a brain could make money at, I was very wrong. If this is her idea and she came to you, great, help her out. If it's your idea, you will get the blame for all her wasted time and frustration.

Steve
Old 07-18-2005, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to think this was something anybody with a brain could make money at, I was very wrong. If this is her idea and she came to you, great, help her out. If it's your idea, you will get the blame for all her wasted time and frustration.

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very valid point.