Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2003, 10:46 PM

Default Typical Turn Play?

So I'm playing in a pretty good 15-30 game online. I'm dealt J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the cutoff. Surprisingly, it's folded to me. I raise. All fold to the BB who calls and we take the flop heads up. Flop is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. He checks, I bet, he raises. I call with my gutter, runner runner and two possibly good overs. Turn is the 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. He bets. Do you fold, call or raise as a default? If you'd usually call, when would you consider raising? I'm getting just over 5-1 on the turn.

Jeff
Old 12-13-2003, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Typical Turn Play?

When was the last time you saw someone fold to this kind of turn raise here?

I would often 3-bet the flop for a variety of reasons.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:26 AM

Word.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:56 AM

I can't say I am real upset about the idea of three-betting the flop. There are lots of cards that could come that would be favorable. Getting a free turn card may be a result of this too.

I also think raising the turn here is futile, since his opponent already check-raised the flop, they obviously have at least overcards, if not a piece of the flop.

al
Old 12-14-2003, 02:10 PM

hi jeff
you should reraise the flop for the turn free-card.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:28 PM

Default RESULTS

I called the turn bet. On the river, a blank slid off. He bet and I folded. Not an exciting hand, I know. But I think the turn and flop play are interesting. I understand the flop 3-bet in this spot...but would you always check the turn for the free card (seems like the best move). Do you worry about sharp opponents exploiting this betting pattern (3-bet, check behind). CAuse in these aggressive online games, it's possible the guy is checkraise bluffing the flop cause no Ace or King flopped. By checking the turn after 3-betting the flop, I am inviting a bluff I can't call whereas a turn bet takes it. I dunno, just think this is an interesting situation. Overall, I feel I sometimes play too passive in these spots. Comments on this analysis appreciated.

Jeff