Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2002, 03:57 PM

Default Omaha8- Am I making a fool out of myself?

Hi !

Had my first session of O/8 online today. I'm usually a HE-player but thought I should learn a second game.

Now here comes the stupid newbie-question for you "pros" :-)

In a hand I had 12347 as low but 12456 took it away.

I had A23J, board was 47A28 opponent that won low (actually a scoop) had T65T

What are the rules regarding low. I thought one counted from the bottom and up in which case my hand would have been good.

So What are the rules. Have I missed something??

/Newbie O/8

Old 07-17-2002, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Omaha8- Am I making a fool out of myself?

Low is determined by high card down. In this case

6542A is lower than 7432A. Think of it this way. 7 high beats 6 high if playing for high hand so 7 high must lose to 6 high if playing for low. Hope this explanation is sufficient.

When the A2 hit the board you were counterfeited. This along with getting quartered are the bane of all O8 players.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:53 PM

the money you lose by not studying the game and just playing, would buy many books and pay your rent. on fourth street you had lost most of the value of your hand.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:12 PM

He had a SIX bettering your SEVEN low..BUT you should have the best high with two pair AA33.there a lot of good book,also Wilsons turbo software is a good learning tool. although it has an advisor that needs help.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:17 PM

Actually he had Aces and twos and the other player had an 8 high straight.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:03 AM

Just curious that why where is no a category of "Omaha" in the forums? Maybe just because 2+2 regulars don't play too much Omaha or Omaha8?
Old 07-18-2002, 11:41 AM

i like to think of it as a number, and the lowest number wins. so 65,421 is lower than 74,321. the lowest possible low is 54,321, so whoever is closest to that wins for low. if you're not going to buy rays book, or bob ciaffones book (mostly high) then you should really consider checking out steve badgers site, and annie dukes omaha 8 starting hand strategy.

good luck,

patrick

http://www.playwinningpoker.com/

http://www.ultimatebet.com/team_ub/duke/omaha.html
Old 07-18-2002, 03:40 PM

Thanks for all responses.

I have checked out Annie Dukes articles and Badgers aswell. Mr Zee, your book is on it's way (ordered it 1 week ago).

I think O/8 is a growing game especially with the faster pace online. And I agree 2+2 should have a O/8 forum. The O/8 posters seems a lot nicer compared to the people at the "internetforum" lol

Cya all at the O/8-tables. I will give you money at first but then watch out :-). I'm a good student. At least I was at HE which has given me a lot of $ online last 18 months.

Sorry if my english is a little bit funny. I'm from Sweden.

newbie O/8

Old 07-18-2002, 04:24 PM

With this forum having separate HE and stud sections it seems that this section has become the unnamed Omaha and O8 forums by default.

The amount of posts on the HE and stud sections dwarfs the activity of this section.

I play all 3 games on Paradise Poker and it is clear that HE is wildly more popular than the other games combined online.
Old 07-18-2002, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Z

I sent my NW passage boys to sabotage your truck, they told me it partially worked, but we're interrupted when you came outta the half-moon outhouse (designed by RN) and couldn't finish the job. You we're just a drive by on their trip to the ussr or whatever you call it now to set up shop in the furniture business (wink).

A book sure would help this lost soul!!!!! Even yours would do!!!!! Except for page 192 1st half of Concept 11. 3,4,J flush or something like that I'm sure U can quote it Z because it's not in your next edition that U we're working on during your fishing trip!!!!!!!!!

I feel better already picking on U!!!!

rcf