Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 09:25 PM

Default A slowplay situation

Now I've really been taking the advice this forum gives on slowplaying to heart. I have almost completely eliminated it from my game. Here is a TPTK hand where I think it was warranted though.

MP3 is VERY LAG at 55% VPIP and 23% PFR. He will raise basically any ace in position, any two face cards, and a lot of other hands that I never saw shown down.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls.

Obviously standard PF

Flop: (7.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Now it is a 2-tone board, but I'm HU against super-LAG here. If I thought he may have a flush draw, that is just playing scared, so I don't mind the call for this reason. In all likelihood he hit his A, and is drawing to 3 outs (provided he doesn't already have 2-pair, but my guess is he would slowplay this). A PP is also possible, in which case he is drawing to 2 outs (provided he doesn't already have a set which I think he would have also slowplayed)

Turn: (4.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls.

A pretty friendly card IMO.

What do you think about this play?
Old 03-29-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Re: A slowplay situation

I like it. I don't mind raising the flop either, depends on just how LAGgy the guy is. If he's liable to threebet the flop and still lead the turn if you just call the threebet raise the flop, smoothcall the 3-bet and raise the turn again.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:32 PM

Can we add this to the sticky?

[ QUOTE ]
NEVER slowplay

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm feeling pugnacious today.

Now that I actually look at the hand, it looks fine.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:24 AM

I like it. You are HU against someone who will call you down no matter what = you won't get him a free card if you don't raise. Since you believe you are probably way ahead wait to the turn to raise. If you are less certain, raise on the flop to avoid getting 3-bet on the turn if he has you beat. If he 3 bets just call him down.