Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2004, 12:56 PM

Default So here\'s a tough hand....

Multi tourney on Empire. 92 entrants, down to 75. Average stack is about T1300, I have T1025. Blinds are T15/T30.

I get RED QQ in the BB. UTG and UTG+2 limp, then the SB (T1870) makes it T100. I reraise to T390. Limpers fold, SB calls.

Flop comes a distressing K-J-3 w/ two hearts. SB checks.
What's my move?

Comments/analysis up to this point would be welcome.

TIA.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:48 PM

Default Re: So here\'s a tough hand....

This is why betting close to 40% of your stack causes problems. If you check behind, he knows you don't have a K, then what do you do if a blank falls and he bets the pot?

The good news is, if he's got AJ or TT, you're ahead. Since I would've pushed all-in preflop, I guess I have to commit to it here.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:44 PM

You still have 635 and the blinds are only 15/30 so you are in no way committed to this hand. I think all-in here would be foolish. I think the only hand that could call you that you have beat is AJ. Even then he would have 6 outs (not including runner-runner str). Does AJ even make sense? Would he raise two limpers from small blind with AJ then call your raise? I don't think so. If you bet all-in on the flop I think you are only called by a hand that's beating you. This leaves you with two options: check behind him or bet some amount (but not all-in). The pot is already 840 and you only have 635 left so it's hard for you to bet. I would check. If he checks the turn then I would go all-in on the turn, but if he bet the turn I would prob just fold, unless another heart comes on the turn AND he is the type of player that would steal on the turn since you showed weakness on the flop. That way you most likely have two ways to win - you either pick off his bluff or you hit a heart on the river.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:26 PM

Tyler, I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with the T390 raise. At that point I either go all-in, or more likley either just call or make another T100 raise to see how serious both the caller is on his hand (I'm sure he'll call but I want to see if he'll reraise) AND the extra 100 would give the first two limpers more to think about. I don't like the T390 raise because it doesn't make it too difficult for the sb to call and it makes things really difficult if an A or K flops since now I'm really in a bind chip wise if I need to/want to fold. I don't like the all-in, because at this stage in the tournament I would rather take a little risk and try to double up since there is really not that much in the pot right now and I would hate to play it safe with my QQ for just T200-300.

Once I see that flop I would probably make a minimum bet of T100 and see if he raises me. If he doesn't I would consider either pushing all-in on the turn if he checks again. Without any reads on this guy his minimum raise preflop could mean a lot of things from a very strong hand, any A, kqs, Kjs, Kts, or any pair. If he does have the King its likely that he has a strong kicker and therefore may try to reraise your minimum bet. My strategy would be much easier if you didn't bet the T390 preflop.

If he had two hearts in his hand he would be unlikely to check the flop so I'm not too worried about the flush.