Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Weird Hand

People are playing weird here, and I can't read them. Turn raise to try and knock possible AK out or get raised and knock out SB? What could SB have? Flop raise is bad as it fails to protect my hand?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, MP3 calls, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (20 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (13 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, SB folds.

River: (18 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Final Pot: 20 BB
Old 07-06-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Weird Hand

Looks good
Edit: I thought you 3-bet the flop. 3-bet flop.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:43 AM

The pot is so big here that you can't even protect your hand much on the turn. People are still getting 8:1 to call so gutshots can still peel one and hope to make up the difference on the river.

When this happens I just ram and jam it and hope my hand holds up. You almost certainly have the best hand here. Cap the flop, raise the turn, call down if they keep pushing.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:48 AM

3-bet flop.

Edit - Take it back, I think I would consider c/r'ing the flop.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:51 AM

Gotta 3-bet that flop.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:56 AM

3-bet the flop, and it's not close. Any raising your doing here is for value, not protection, as the pot is so bloated you can't protect against anyone that has a decent piece of this board. I would only slow down if UTG+2 capped your flop 3-bet and then raised your turn lead.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gotta 3-bet that flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against PF capper? Won't I just bloat the pot against someone who I'm often going to chop or lose against? What's the range of the capper's hands?
Old 07-06-2005, 12:01 PM

The only hands that he would possibly cap PF with that you could be losing to here are AA, JJ, TT, AJ, or 33. The latter two are a long shot for a player to cap with unless you have been watching him and his he is LAG. I would 3 bet the flop as well. Results?
Old 07-06-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3-bet flop.

Edit - Take it back, I think I would consider c/r'ing the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. In this huge pot, you stand a good chance at getting the best hand protection you can muster, even if that's not much.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:03 PM

Looks to me like the preflop capper had a poorly-played AA/QQ/AK. SB looks like he was hoping to make something happen, maybe a diamond draw, and gave up when the going got tough.

A c/r on the flop is a possibility, but if UTG+2 would cap preflop with AK you might see this flop check through, which would be a travesty. So, I like the bet-out on the flop, but you have to hit it again once it's raised back to you. At this point the only hand that a "normal" (read: unknown) player would cap PF that you're behind is AA, and I'm not willing to give him credit for that, yet, and you want to get as much into the pot as you can before everybody realizes they're beat.

So? Did he chicken out with AA or have something worse?